Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Aspartame LInked to Lymphoma and Leukemia

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

Aspartame, found in diet sodas and other "lite" products, has been linked to Lymphoma and Leukemia in new study:

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013/09/07/aspartame-linked-to-leukemia-lymphoma-in-groundbreaking-study-2/?goback=.gde_3032092_member_272337951#!

As an alternative to grocery store sodas, you can make your own. Combine 4 oz of your favorite fruit juice (100% juice, no added sugars) with 4 oz of sparkling water. You'll get the heatlh benefits of the juice, with the hydration of the water. Easy, delicious, healthy, low cost...yum!

What's your favorite juice to mix?

BeFit-Mom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Juice-wise, I'm content with plain old orange-juice, fresh-squeezed, or just adding lime juice to my plain water.  I'm trying to wean my son off of all other convenience juices, as I am so tired of reading labels and finding something added and problematic.

Other drinks I enjoy: homemade Horchata , Hibiscus tea and some other herbal teas.  I am pretty well done with soda products, though I do get caffeine from coffee.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I drink a lot of lemon in my water, but not much else.  If  we go out to dinner, I might order an ice tea / lemonade combo. 

I have been making popsicles out of straight grape juice for the kiddo...  SOOO much nicer to know they're not loaded with mystery ingredients!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM
This is worrisome and I try to avoid aspartame. I try not to drink alot of juice either because it has alot of sugar period
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I don't drink any juice. I drink a smoothie every morning and then water the rest of the day.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My mom had lymphoma so I try to stear clear of anything that could cause it but I stear away from artifical sweetners all together.

I've been experimenting with my soda stream a lot recently. I also discovered that's it's super hard to find 100% juice with no added ingredients in it.

SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Oj mixed with seltzer or seltzer water with fresh lemon is my favorite. I drank it all the time when I was pregnant.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I agree

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

This is worrisome and I try to avoid aspartame. I try not to drink alot of juice either because it has alot of sugar period

brittney822
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM
This is actually old news, u just don't hear about it a lot bc the government says its safe and allows for its use in products...after writing a paper on aspartame, I can't help but feel there is a kick-back involved somewhere...aspartame is really in sooooo many "low sugar" and "sugar free" products from soda, syrups, to gum! So read your labels :)
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I don't mix juice but just started drinking water kefir. I don't like anything diet or with fake sugar!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)