Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

hair color while pregnant

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 20 Replies

do you? I usually dont, but my hair is driving me nuts and my nice mama offered to pay for a cut and color for me. I am so tempted. It would be darker so no bleach. 

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No, I stay away from all chemicals though...which means I have several white hairs and I'm in my 20's :/  What about henna that seems safer to use while pregnant.

CafeMom Tickers
bonitalilmama
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Its a thread on here about it, to summarize it, its fine to do so. One said her doctor said it was fine because only a small percentage gets absorbed and it get water down significantly

Quoting monalisasus:

do you? I usually dont, but my hair is driving me nuts and my nice mama offered to pay for a cut and color for me. I am so tempted. It would be darker so no bleach. 

BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Henna hair color is a bad idea trust me, I'm a licensed cosmetologist. The color will fade over time into that awkward orange henna color, and it's impossible to get it out, you just have to wait for it to grow out and you can't use regular hair color over it to cover it up.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

No, I stay away from all chemicals though...which means I have several white hairs and I'm in my 20's :/  What about henna that seems safer to use while pregnant.

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I know several women who use henna and their hair always looks wonderful, it can also be mixed with other natural dyes if you want a different color. Just saying I would use that before I put chemicals in my body especially while preggers.

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Henna hair color is a bad idea trust me, I'm a licensed cosmetologist. The color will fade over time into that awkward orange henna color, and it's impossible to get it out, you just have to wait for it to grow out and you can't use regular hair color over it to cover it up.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

CafeMom Tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Yeah its fine..make sure you share a pic
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM

if i do do it, i do it once in the late 3rd trimester

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM
This

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah its fine..make sure you share a pic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

No and I learned that i have grey hair!

BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I believe you, the only problem with henna is that the color of pure henna is brown, so metallic salts must be added to make it either lighter or darker. The problem with hair color containing metallic salts is that this hair color is considered to be what's called a "progressive dye" which means each time you color your hair, it turns darker, which is fine if you're looking to darken your hair color each time. If however you change your mind and want to lighten it up, the problem with metallic salts is that they are extremely reactive with other chemicals. If you try to use most color removal methods on Metallic salt major chemical reactions can occur in the hair shaft such as horrible burning fumes and sometimes even smoking. So basically what I'm saying is if you want to do henna, you have to commit until your hair grows out.

There are other safer options for coloring your hair while you're pregnant, such as a "Demi permanent" hair color, which does not penetrate the hair shaft (so it lasts only 4-6 weeks) and contains no ammonia.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

I know several women who use henna and their hair always looks wonderful, it can also be mixed with other natural dyes if you want a different color. Just saying I would use that before I put chemicals in my body especially while preggers.

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

It is safe. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)