Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

1 month old, best bottles for colic?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 41 Replies

My baby girl was 1 month old yesterday, 9/10/13... She's been having some problems with gas/colic and constipation. What bottles do yall suggest using? I've tried Dr. Brown, Mam, Playtex..... & nothing has really seemed to help or were "life savers" as some people say about some bottles. Just wondering what yall may have used that actually worked or helped. Thanks :-)

Pyper's Mom!!

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harleysmom213
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

my son's dr informed me that collic is just a baby learning to use the sphincter muscle. just make sure your baby doesn't suck in a lot of air when eating. it doesn't really matter what kind of bottle you use. i figure practice makes perfect as long as my kid has gas or has to poop he's stregnthening his sphincter muscles. i rub his tummy to help him feel better.

ManthaCole9406
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting Harleysmom213:

my son's dr informed me that collic is just a baby learning to use the sphincter muscle. just make sure your baby doesn't suck in a lot of air when eating. it doesn't really matter what kind of bottle you use. i figure practice makes perfect as long as my kid has gas or has to poop he's stregnthening his sphincter muscles. i rub his tummy to help him feel better.

Every time I feed her you can hear the air in her stomach as she swallows, I've tried different nipples hoping they'd fit around her mouth better so she wouldn't suck as much air but nothing really seems to help. & I think her constipation isn't helping with the gas & stomach aching.... I've been rubbing her stomach as well, it does seem to help. Thanks :-)

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

are you bottle feeding formula or bm? I know  a lot of babies that cant handle the cows milk/wheat/corn formula situation and feel so much better when switched to soy/goats milk formula...if bm some have had success in reliving constipation with cutting out wheat and dairy from moms diet. good luck mama. in the meantime bicycle the legs and rub belly clockwise two fingers above belly button. warm baths. My dd has had long issues with constipation she is almost three now and it started after she weaned..I now know she is gluten intolerant. 

ManthaCole9406
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Bottle feeding... At 5 days old they determined she's allergic to cows milk & switched her to Soy. Her bm's were normal until about the 2nd week of the soy. I've been giving her Karo syrup like the doctor said but I don't want her to become dependent on that to use to bathroom. Thanks :-)

Quoting monalisasus:

are you bottle feeding formula or bm? I know  a lot of babies that cant handle the cows milk/wheat/corn formula situation and feel so much better when switched to soy/goats milk formula...if bm some have had success in reliving constipation with cutting out wheat and dairy from moms diet. good luck mama. in the meantime bicycle the legs and rub belly clockwise two fingers above belly button. warm baths. My dd has had long issues with constipation she is almost three now and it started after she weaned..I now know she is gluten intolerant. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I always used Dr. Brown.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM

probiotics work for my kiddo. Its healhty bacteria that feed good gut flora. breastmilk creates a sugar that feeds these flora so perhaps without it probiotics would help? or switch to goat formula perhaps the soy is spiking estrogen too much?? or the gmo part of soy is hard on the tummy??? laxitives dont solve anything and can easily become dependent on them and dont get to the real problem. I hope you figure it out., colic is so hard on mama. sometimes colic is just colic I would address constipation and gas first. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Colic is a term doctors give when they dont know whats wrong with baby.  Formula is very very hard to digest so most liely the issue is something in the formula causing the problem.  What is she on?

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

Bottle feeding... At 5 days old they determined she's allergic to cows milk & switched her to Soyhow did they determine this? what brand/kind of formula is she using. Her bm's were normal until about the 2nd week of the soy. formula BM are always kinda strange but soy ones are even worseI've been giving her Karo syrup like the doctor said but I don't want her to become dependent on that to use to bathroom. karo syrup is dangerous it raises risks of botulism..bad bad abd..why in the WORLD do doctors say to do this!Thanks :-)

Quoting monalisasus:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

She would have to make goat formula yes?

Quoting monalisasus:

probiotics work for my kiddo. Its healhty bacteria that feed good gut flora. breastmilk creates a sugar that feeds these flora so perhaps without it probiotics would help? or switch to goat formula perhaps the soy is spiking estrogen too much?? or the gmo part of soy is hard on the tummy??? laxitives dont solve anything and can easily become dependent on them and dont get to the real problem. I hope you figure it out., colic is so hard on mama. sometimes colic is just colic I would address constipation and gas first. 

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Its sold...but not in the grocery store...probably more like something like whole foods....but sometimes colic is only cured with age :( I feel for moms of those with colic...my MIL and aunt had such a hard time.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting monalisasus:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think the FDA has approved goats milk formula..I think it has to be made which is why I asked

Quoting monalisasus:

Its sold...but not in the grocery store...probably more like something like whole foods....but sometimes colic is only cured with age :( I feel for moms of those with colic...my MIL and aunt had such a hard time.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting monalisasus:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)