Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural carpet cleaners?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Are there any steam cleaners that just use steam and not chemicals? Are there any other kinds of natural carpet cleaners?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I'm not sure but I make my own cleaner with white vinegar and water!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

If it is a spot strain I pour vinegar on it and then sprinkle baking soda and cover it so the kids and cats stay away. It pulls the stains out. 

mjrex87
by Mindy on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Do you clean the whole carpet with it? We have two dogs and a sort-of potty training toddler, so I need to find a good way to clean the carpet throughout the entire house.

Quoting jconney80:

I'm not sure but I make my own cleaner with white vinegar and water!

mjrex87
by Mindy on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Good to know, thanks! Do you do anything different to clean the whole carpet?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

If it is a spot strain I pour vinegar on it and then sprinkle baking soda and cover it so the kids and cats stay away. It pulls the stains out. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I just spot treat and vacuum daily. I have given up on having nice carpets and children. When they get a little older I will just replace the carpets. 

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Haha, I get that! Unfortunately, there is one bedroom that really needs the carpet ripped up but we can't afford to replace it, so I need to figure out a cheap and effective way to deep clean it. :-/

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I just spot treat and vacuum daily. I have given up on having nice carpets and children. When they get a little older I will just replace the carpets. 

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I tried using a commercial Bissel odor eliminator cleaner last week thinking it would do wonders for my carpet.

It didnt. The cleaner (which was heavily diluted w water) smelled so strongly it almost made me sick!! I did do a full carpet cleaning w the solution last week- the dirty water was pretty dirty.

A few days ago I sprinkled baking soda over my carpets and let it sit for 36 hours. I vacuumed today and did a carpet cleaner of distiller white vinegar (about 1/4 cup) diluted w the rest of the cleaning bucket full of hot water.

The amount of suds, grime and nasty crap that was removed from my carpets (that had been shampooed only a week prior) was mind blowing. The water was almost black!! Best of all, no vinegar smell and no headache producing chemical smell. I will only be using vinegar from now on!!

Hope this helps:)
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
**only using the vinegar and water solution from now on:)
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Good Info!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We use vinegar OR peroxide

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN