Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Infant carrier or five point harness carseat? Edited

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 22 Replies

I mean either this   or 

I hate carrying around an infant carrier and will be using my Ergo to carry around instead. I'll use a stroller sometimes, too. But I'm not sure which I should do. It would be cheaper to buy the infant carrier with a stroller instead of the five-point harness and a stroller. 

Which did you do?

Edited. Someone pointed out that with the infant carrier I would be putting the baby in a room temperature seat instead of what's in the car. I'm due in March, so it will be hot soon. I think that's a big factor. I don't want to put him or her in a hot seat and those things take a lot to cool down. 

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I would just go with the 5 point harness now since you will have to get one anyway once the baby outgrows the infant seat.   It may be cheaper now to just get the infant and the snap in stroller but in the long run it will cost more.   

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I do a carrier until it's outgrown then switch. I babywear and don't really use it as a carrier but it has been convenient a couple times.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Depends on exactly which convertible seat you want (some do not fit NBs well, none of the recaros do- all their bottom slots are 10-11 inches).
SaratheV
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

See, i'm sure it will get gross in the years until he/she is big enough for a five point. I'd replace it at least once anyway. I'm not sure. 

Quoting awesomemommy2:

I would just go with the 5 point harness now since you will have to get one anyway once the baby outgrows the infant seat.   It may be cheaper now to just get the infant and the snap in stroller but in the long run it will cost more.   

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I started with a convertible this last time, because I hate carrying the seat around too.  Also, we have three car seats in our backseat and it didn't seem to me like getting a seat in and out would be a good idea.  You'll need a convertible after the infant carrier anyway, since most infant carriers don't keep kids RF long enough to meet the new recommendations of at least 2 and 30lbs. 

kdgord
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I have done both with my kiddos over the years and for infant stage I love the carrier seat so I can let them sleep when we get home or at relative's houses by just bringing in the seat. When they get older the convertible seat is really nice. We use the carrier until they outgrow it and then switch to the convertible seat.
awesomemommy2
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Gross from what.   My oldest is 7 and I still have the 5 point harness seat that we got when he moved out of his infnat seat that my 3 year old sits in plus the one I bought my now 5 year old which she still sits in and neither is gross.   The fabric covers come off and can be laundered.   

Quoting SaratheV:

See, i'm sure it will get gross in the years until he/she is big enough for a five point. I'd replace it at least once anyway. I'm not sure. 

Quoting awesomemommy2:

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Infant carseat. Then you don't have to wake baby to pull him out
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
The stroller? Not if you keep it clean. I've had my stroller for years. If you baby wear mostly, like you said then your stroller can last a LONG time. I keep baby wipes with me (I use cloth so it's basically a baby wash cloth and water) to spot clean immediately if a mess occurs, then when I get home I spritz it down with my ACV/water solution and sun it. Clean and fresh. It's stored in the garage. We use ours maybe 2-3 times a year.

Quoting SaratheV:

Quoting awesomemommy2:

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

It's really up to you. We chose to go with an infant carrier because I like being able to strap baby into a home temperature seat and not into a summer swealtering or winter frozen seat. I like that I can use it with a stroller if baby is sleeping or times where pushing a stroller is easier then babywearing, like shopping for clothes (which mamas need to do after baby is born most often) or out to the park with older kids.

If you do decide on a convertible from birth you'll need to find one with short harness slots, good infant padding, and a low weight start. Lots of seats claim to fit from 5 lbs. but don't. That Recaro isn't really a great seat at all, they're better for their boosters then any other seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)