Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question re: lactose-free dairy

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 29 Replies

My 2 month old breastfed baby has issues with dairy. When I ingest dairy he gets eczema on his face and it takes a couple weeks for it to go away. Other symptoms include increased spitup and a harder time passing gas.

I am aware there is almond, coconut, rice, and soy milk. I am curious specifically about lactose-free milk like Lactaid. It is made with milk. I don't know if my son has a sensitivity to protiens in cow's milk, a lactose intolerance, an allergy, or what. What are the chances lactose-free milk will cause DS problems? Probably, probably not, every child is different?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM
No clue. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I don't know, but I'd be worried about the chemicals and processes used to alter milk like that. I don't know anything about it, but it may be worth looking into.
GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM
It won't work for him from my experience. Lactose intolerance is stomach issues not skin etc. I personally am lactose intolerant and white the lactose free stuff is easier to digest than reg it still has some in it so I still get sick. I have been dairy free for years.
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM
My DD has eczema. Her triggers had to all be cut from my diet when she was breastfeeding. She is 4 now and still doesn't eat those trigger foods or she will flare.

Quoting Lynette:

It won't work for him from my experience. Lactose intolerance is stomach issues not skin etc. I personally am lactose intolerant and white the lactose free stuff is easier to digest than reg it still has some in it so I still get sick. I have been dairy free for years.

Mantidae
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH is lactose intolerant, but even in his case we found that going completely dairy free resulted in much better health improvement than trying to do lactose-free.  Plus, it saves us the hassle of trying to find humane dairy without all the gross stuff factories put in their dairy products.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Heck, I was never LI or had a dairy allergy, i never had health issues at all, but when I went dairy free my health got sooo much better. I really think dairy is so bad for us and many, many people would benefit from giving it up.

Quoting Mantidae:

My DH is lactose intolerant, but even in his case we found that going completely dairy free resulted in much better health improvement than trying to do lactose-free.  Plus, it saves us the hassle of trying to find humane dairy without all the gross stuff factories put in their dairy products.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastmilk has TONS of lactose in it no matter what you eat. It's beyond incredibly rare for a baby to have issues with lactose and if they do they need special formula to survive.
It's the protein in the milk that causes issues in babies, Lactaid won't be helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mantidae
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  The dairy industry got in with the USDA so long ago that people now view dairy as nutritious, when 99.9% of the time it is very bad for you.

Breastmilk is awesome and perfect - when used by the species for which it is created.  Humans don't need cow breastmilk; we're not calves.  Plus, the factory dairy industry is downright revolting. 

Quoting jellyphish:

Heck, I was never LI or had a dairy allergy, i never had health issues at all, but when I went dairy free my health got sooo much better. I really think dairy is so bad for us and many, many people would benefit from giving it up.

Quoting Mantidae:

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, nearly vegan, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (10), the cutest little boy ever born (2), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting larissalarie:

Breastmilk has TONS of lactose in it no matter what you eat. It's beyond incredibly rare for a baby to have issues with lactose and if they do they need special formula to survive. It's the protein in the milk that causes issues in babies, Lactaid won't be helpful.

I didn't know that thanks.
Terpsichore
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know this either. I didn't think Lactaid was going to happen. Thanks for all the replies.

Quoting larissalarie:

Breastmilk has TONS of lactose in it no matter what you eat. It's beyond incredibly rare for a baby to have issues with lactose and if they do they need special formula to survive.
It's the protein in the milk that causes issues in babies, Lactaid won't be helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)