Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Prodromal Labor?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hello All! I've posted a few times (sorry if I'm driving you crazy). I just like the info I get in this group. Again, I am 38 weeks and 5 days, 4 cm dilated. I was reading about natural ways to encourage labor and exercises to help position baby into the pelvis. Upon my research, I found a website that was talking about prodromal labor. It's the first I ever heard of it, but the website didn't really go into too much detail about it and I haven't found too much else other than it's when you are having "real" contractions, not BH, but they stop because your uterus gets tired because baby is not positioned right. This website stated that if you can get baby to position properly, natural labor should start within a few hours or a couple of days. Has anyone experienced this or give me any tips??? I know I'm not at 40 weeks yet, but going through these contractions on and off is driving me crazy and if I can encourage natural labor to start, even if it takes another week or two, I would be so happy, because I know my OB probably won't let me go past 41 weeks.
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate to say it again but baby will come when he or she is ready and not a minute sooner. They know when they are done cooking and all you can do is build trust in your baby and your body to do what is best. Relax, take good care of yourself and don't try to force it. I know the last few weeks are the hardest, but it's important.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I get prodomal labor everytime and yep baby gets into position and comes soon after that.  This time the birthing ball helped him  I think. But more than anything trusting your body is what helps.  You body knows what to do, just leave it be.  Stressing about this whole doctor wont let me go past 41 weeks will prevent labor more often than not.

Its hard but stop concentrating on this so much and enjoy being pregnant...relax

LadyBugMom09
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Thank you!  Based on the many stories of other women who have experienced this, I do believe I am experiencing prodromal labor.  Very strong, not Braxton Hicks, contractions that are not consistent and come and go and can last days and even weeks.  One woman even said her contractions never got to 5-10 minutes apart, they were always 20-30 minutes apart all the way up to the delivery of her baby, which she almost had at home because she didn't think she was in labor because the contractions were so far apart.

I will try to relax and listen to my body.  Thank you.

Quoting SeattleBabyBump:

I hate to say it again but baby will come when he or she is ready and not a minute sooner. They know when they are done cooking and all you can do is build trust in your baby and your body to do what is best. Relax, take good care of yourself and don't try to force it. I know the last few weeks are the hardest, but it's important.

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Another vote for stop worrying.
I had pre-term/prodrominal labor from 30/32 weeks that caused slow consistent change. Theres nothing to "do" stop trying to make things happen
Baby will be here soon enough on its own
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Mine didnt get closer than 10 min apart regularly til I was in transition and around 6cm. But I KNEW for sure the diference in prodomal and real deal when it happened
Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Thank you!  Based on the many stories of other women who have experienced this, I do believe I am experiencing prodromal labor.  Very strong, not Braxton Hicks, contractions that are not consistent and come and go and can last days and even weeks.  One woman even said her contractions never got to 5-10 minutes apart, they were always 20-30 minutes apart all the way up to the delivery of her baby, which she almost had at home because she didn't think she was in labor because the contractions were so far apart.

Quoting SeattleBabyBump:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I agree with this

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I get prodomal labor everytime and yep baby gets into position and comes soon after that.  This time the birthing ball helped him  I think. But more than anything trusting your body is what helps.  You body knows what to do, just leave it be.  Stressing about this whole doctor wont let me go past 41 weeks will prevent labor more often than not.

Its hard but stop concentrating on this so much and enjoy being pregnant...relax

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Claughlin
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Why do you say your ob won't LET you go over 41?  You hired him not the other way around.  You are going to pay I'm a lot of money so he is working for you.  You're the boss.  You tell him when you want to do things not the other way around.  You hold more power than he ones because its your body, your birth and your baby.  

Look up natural induction techniques and do them but like you've already heard, baby will come when baby is ready.

robbinbj
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I had this for over 3 weeks this pregnancy, ds was posterior. Eventually my body gave up trying to reposition him, and I had him on his due date in the posterior position. Worst contraction pain in my life, felt like my pelvic bone was going to snap in half! But my labor was quick and I only pushed for 20min! Good luck, baby will be here soon enough!
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Birthing balls can help the baby get into position. 

LadyBugMom09
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I had my OB appt today & I'm already close to 6 cm dilated. I am trying to relax & wait for it to happen on its own,, but how is it possible that I'm already close to 6 cm with no active labor?? My OB wanted to send me to L&D and "speed things up" but I declined again. I have to admit, I'm afraid I won't get to the hospital in time.

My mom says I could be one of those women that just doesn't get any labor pains (we know a lucky few). This is just weird for me. I never thought things could progress like this.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Mine didnt get closer than 10 min apart regularly til I was in transition and around 6cm. But I KNEW for sure the diference in prodomal and real deal when it happened

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting SeattleBabyBump:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)