Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Oh Lordy please help me!

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 10 Replies
So back in June my son & I went on a month long vacation to visit fam in Illinois. After a few days he was on a fantastic sleep schedule! We got back to Florida August 2nd. He started waking a few times until 3 or 4 am, which I counted on seeing as he was in a "new place" & an hour time difference. After a few weeks he started waking every hour until 3-4am but then slept fine the rest of the night.

We asked the pediatrician about this & she said it could be a phase or my caffeine consumption. I slowly cut out the caffeine & he's only gotten worse. For the past week he has been waking up every hour all night! I might get a solid 2hrs if I'm lucky. I'm absolutely exhausted & I have no idea what to do anymore.
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM
How old? Growth spurts and teething can also disrupt sleeping patterns. Also if caffeine was a factor it may take a while after you give it up before you see change.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JackandJayne
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Yikes. That's tough and it really is hard work once you begin sleep training!! I would do your best to keep him totally stimulated until about 40 minutes to lights out. The rest really depends on what he's displaying and what you've already tried. My son was like this, so I began co sleeping for about a month, he slowly progressed to a few more hours. Then I moved him into the crib near our bed. Then I moved the crib further and further until he was back in his room.

He could be clingy, in which case above can work. He could be extra gassy when laying flat. He could be overly tired so he's not hitting deep enough sleep because he's 'strung out' at night. Sometimes added background noise helps prevent constant breaks in sleep. He may need an extra night light, a comfort item or if you're feeding on demand, maybe he's just a hungry boy! 

Really hard to tell. But you'd know best so rack your brain and try to find the cause/jump in difference since you left Illinois.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Did you start taking in more caffeine when you came back? It doesn't make sense to me that something like that would just start out of nowhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM

How old is he baby? Could be a growth spurt. I would sleep with the baby. Then he can nurse and you can get your sleep. 

greentealover18
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM
He will be 7 mos in a week. We coslept until we went on vacation. He was always in my room though. Now that we're home I've continued to crib him & his crib is less than 2ft from my side of the bed. I would cosleep but he moves entirely too much now lol

I opt out of night feedings **unless its been more than 4ish hrs or he's acting hungry*** but he doesn't act hungry when he wakes. He's easily rocked back to sleep.

Also I have one of those incline thingys in his crib. But he seems to sleep best in my bed, so maybe I should take the pad out?

He slept a lot better last night, only woke up 5x!!

Quoting JackandJayne:

Yikes. That's tough and it really is hard work once you begin sleep training!! I would do your best to keep him totally stimulated until about 40 minutes to lights out. The rest really depends on what he's displaying and what you've already tried. My son was like this, so I began co sleeping for about a month, he slowly progressed to a few more hours. Then I moved him into the crib near our bed. Then I moved the crib further and further until he was back in his room.

He could be clingy, in which case above can work. He could be extra gassy when laying flat. He could be overly tired so he's not hitting deep enough sleep because he's 'strung out' at night. Sometimes added background noise helps prevent constant breaks in sleep. He may need an extra night light, a comfort item or if you're feeding on demand, maybe he's just a hungry boy! 

Really hard to tell. But you'd know best so rack your brain and try to find the cause/jump in difference since you left Illinois.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I would take the incline thingy out. Also sleep in a shirt 2-3 nights in a row and put that next to him in the crib so he can smell your "presence". Did you have any change in diet since the trip? Other than the caffeine? Is he teething? Babies do to through sleep changes as they get older. Good luck!
greentealover18
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Ohh shirt, that's a good idea! he's been sleeping better the last 2 nights. I've been feeding him cereal before bed. I don't see any signs of teething though.

Quoting 907PickleMom:

I would take the incline thingy out. Also sleep in a shirt 2-3 nights in a row and put that next to him in the crib so he can smell your "presence". Did you have any change in diet since the trip? Other than the caffeine? Is he teething? Babies do to through sleep changes as they get older. Good luck!
Brieshon
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Kids do through phases like that all the time for so many reasons. Teething (could be no other signs), growth spurt, cognitive development, change in location or schedule, or none of the above. The shirt thing is a great idea (or walk around with his crib sheet under your shirt while at home he doesn't have a shirt loose in the crib with him)! :) Has he had reflux issues? If not, the incline thing may not be doing much and I'd try without it. My kids didn't like it. If you're drinking a lot of caffeine, that might affect him, but if you only drink a cup of coffee in the morning it shouldn't mess with his sleep at night (unless you're pumping an hour or so after drinking coffee and feeding him that milk at night). You also might try pureed veggies instead of cereal at night. The simple carbs in cereal can be processed into energy spurts that could wake him up.

Good luck!
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Teething may present as looser stool, swollen gums, very low grade fever & general fussiness even if no teeth are present..

Quoting greentealover18:

Ohh shirt, that's a good idea! he's been sleeping better the last 2 nights. I've been feeding him cereal before bed. I don't see any signs of teething though.

Quoting 907PickleMom:

hapababies
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Cereal before bed may backfire on you. Since it's all carbs, it may re-energize him.

Quoting greentealover18:

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)