Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

To heck with cloth diapering!

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 21 Replies

OK, I'm kidding. I'm not "there" yet.  But I haven't had any good results yet, either.  I have bought a variety of diaper covers for my prefolds to try out different brands, and I have not yet been able to keep a cover for more than a diaper change.  Shoudln't the covers be outlasting the pre-folds?  The problem is that the poo leaks over the prefolds and out around the diaper cover, messing that up, too.  I've tried different sizes of prefolds, different ways to fold them, and making sure things should be "right".  I'm not really sure what I'm missing.  Would any other mamas out there offer maybe some advice or tips?  Perhaps something that you did not know about cloth diapering before you began, little tricks, etc.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious...

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
How often is babe pooping? It's typical to have to change a cover at a poopie change.
Also are you using a snappi? I've found that the angel wing fold (I think) with a snappi is best for keeping poo in. Snappi makes a big difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moonbabylove
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I always have to change a cover for poop with using a prefold. That being said...I only like using pocket diapers normally. I use prefolds and covers for poo and do the jelly rolk fold. If you breast feed poop is more liquid and is more likely to leak. Is the diaper too loose around the legs and back? If your child is more slim you may need to look into a different brand for a slimmer fit. Don't give up. Cloth diapering is a learning experience and usually takes a lot of trying this or that to find the one you love the best.
artsymomma3
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you to both of you!  I don't know the jelly roll fold but I will try it.  I am using prefolds and covers for now because that was either bought as a shower gift for me or I was able to get used from friends.  Yes, I do have a breastfed baby who happens to be slim and is 10 weeks old, so pooping six times a day or so.  We go through all of our covers a day, and I thought it something I was doing wrong.  It's nice to see that it's normal to change the cover each time.  I have some snappis and will have to try the angel wing fold.  I was avoiding folds that freak my husband out since he likes the ease of disposables, but I guess I should try other options since it's usually me changing diapers anyway.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Angel wing fold is really easy. Good luck! Check out you tube for video instructions.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I liked the twist fold...I have had to wash poo off the covers...luckily bm poo isnt so bad and a quick was in the sink and I could use it later...I did end up making fitteds out of flannel shets that held really good and then I got addicted to making pockets. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Ok yeah, totally normal to be going through more covers at this age. But don't worry, as baby ages and pools less you won't be changing covers so often. At about ten weeks I think is when I switched to non nb covers (10-12 lbs), so it might be a good time to buy more covers anyway.

Quoting artsymomma3:

Thank you to both of you!  I don't know the jelly roll fold but I will try it.  I am using prefolds and covers for now because that was either bought as a shower gift for me or I was able to get used from friends.  Yes, I do have a breastfed baby who happens to be slim and is 10 weeks old, so pooping six times a day or so.  We go through all of our covers a day, and I thought it something I was doing wrong.  It's nice to see that it's normal to change the cover each time.  I have some snappis and will have to try the angel wing fold.  I was avoiding folds that freak my husband out since he likes the ease of disposables, but I guess I should try other options since it's usually me changing diapers anyway.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I have a few prefolds and covers, and I had the same issue with poop getting all over the place. But at least it was contained in the cover, unlike the blow outs I dealt with when I uses sposies with my older son.
Babies get easier to cloth the more practice you have. Also, some babies fit in pocket type diapers better than prefolds and vice versa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Newborns poo a lot and it tends to get all over the cover. Just be thankful baby is in cloth because in a sposie that poo would likely leak out and into the clothing. You aren't doing anything wrong. I did find some really great prefold tutorials on diaperpages.com. This lady showed all the folds and how to get them nice and snug.
LuvAZmomma
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Something else I would suggest is that if there is only a small amount of poo you can wipe it clean with a wipe let dry and reuse.
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I was supposed to cloth this time and haven't yet. Baby is 14 weeks old
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)