Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think everyone could have a natural birth?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do you think everyone could have a natural birth? Or do you think there are reasons-non medical/emergency, that would make someone an exception?

I saw this on The Stir this morning which made me think about that.

I honestly did not think I could do it without an epi-afterall who would want to deal with the pain if they could do it without? So for my first two I had one. Then I realized people really do have natural, med free labors and guess what? They survive, lol. So I chose a med-free, hospital birth for my third. It was the best labor I had.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alc4evermom
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I think it just depends whether someone values being in control or not being in control of the body's natural process.  As far as pain, pain is a learned behavior.  My fiancĂ© can't handle being sick, but he can handle a lot of pain.  I can clean the house all day with a fever but right now my tailbone area hurts and I can't stop whining about it.  

Going as natural as I can at the hospital is important to me because I used to have a drug problem, and I don't want to interrupt my clean time.  It would be one thing if I was in an accident or needed emergency surgery, but this is a lot different.  

soon2bmomof3619
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don't think everyone could, there are some women who truly need the medical help or the c/s.

I do think most women should try, and I think if epidural wasn't so pushed, more women would be able to have a natural birth.

My DS was born in a hospital birthign center with "medwives". I had to be induced because I hade high BP (177/104). The only drug I ended up having was cervadil, I avoided pit, DS was born 3 hours before they were scheduled to start it lol. But they kept pushing me to get an epi because of my BP, but I fought and fought. The only person that stood by me and supported my decision for no dural, was DF. My mo mwas there and she was pushing ( think she didn't like seeing me in pain) all the midwives and nurses.

DD was natural, except pit for the last 10 min. The OB was an ass. I was only there for 6 hours and he decided I wasn't progressing fast enough when I was 9.5 cm dialated. I told him no way I don't want pit, I'm almost there. He ignored me and told the nurse to start pit or she wouldn't have a job. She put it on the lowest drip possible and shut if off ASAP for me. SOP in that hospital is pit for every patient for after birth to help the uterus contract. I could have sued the pants off that hospital, but there was no proof that I said no, or that I was informed.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I think there are reasons to use pain killers, and no not everyone can have a natural birth.  There are people that have extenuating circumstances that call for csection and meds intervention.

I have had for med filled births and then my 5th was natural, it was very very hard because of my scoliosis, if I had been in a hospital even with all my information I wouldve had an epidural.  I know I wouldve.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

No I don't think everyone can.  I think some people have real medical issues that would cause them not to be able to.  I think many more people could that are not also.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Most could, there are few exceptions.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Of course not everyone can, that's why the mortality rate for childbirth used to be MUCH higher! Plenty of women and/or their babies do need c sections or inductions for their health/safety/survival.

Now if you remove those more-rare-than-you'd-think-but-truly-needed medically necessary inductions & sections from the equation? Sure everyone else COULD go natural if they had no other choice... kinda like they used to do before all these interventions were invented :-D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I think a legitimate answer can only be found if you could assess a large enough sample group of women who were neither conditioned to believe childbirth is an exercise in suffering or an event requiring medical intervention - if you could find such a group, you could probably get the most honest measurement of what is possible. Short of that, since other mammals routinely give birth without pain meds, I think we women "can" too ..... now, whether we will or not is clearly a different conversation.
JackandJayne
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Med-free, probably. Vaginally... Not without a few casualties. I or my baby would have died or been severely injured if it weren't for c sections with my first. 

swedemomma
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I think most low risk pregnancies can be a natural birth, but our society seems against it. My own mom was highly against me going to a freestanding birth center to have an unmedicated birth for my first child. Granted she would not have made it through her first childbirth without an emergency c-section. I was worried too, but I knew I didn't want an epi but if it was available I would. After the midwife expained that they would have me at the hospital before the hospital was even prepped and ready for me for surgery if needed, I felt better about delivering there. Birth center is diagonal from the 2 hospitals. 

Claughlin
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Before epidurals, narcotics and other drugs women used to go drug free all of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)