Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Introduction and a question

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 27 Replies

Hi laides. I am 25, and engaged. We have 2 kids together, 4yo DS and 3yo DD. We are TTC #3, have been for over 2 years. I am a natural birthing mama, and am pretty laid back, let them learn their own mistakes.

Now the question. I am trying to eat better and healthier and cleaner. I have no idea what I'm doing though. I can cook, but apparently can't make a smoothie lol. I attempted smoothies for breakfast with greek yogurt, little bit of milk, strawberries, bananas and a few blueberries. It was gross lol, was I supposed to add a little sugar or honey to it to sweeten it some, because it had zero sweetness, I'm guessing because it was plain greek yogurt. Also any recipes or ideas for meals would be amazing.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Do you like Greek yogurt? I don't, so I would have used regular vanilla yogurt. You can add honey if you like. I usually don't add anything other than fruit, yogurt and maybe a splash of juice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmomof3619
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I don't, and my kids have never had it, I'm trying to get them to eat it, they are young enough that it should be easy. I do know it's better, so if they will start eating it now that's great.

nikzup03
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

plain greek yogurt tastes like sour cream IMO. you can buy flavored sweetened greek yogurt.

soon2bmomof3619
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying plain anymore, I've never bought it before, so I was like plain is good, boy was I wrong.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Welcome!  I've never tried plain Greek Yogurt but I hear it's not that good.  Maybe with a differnt yogurt that would be really good.

soon2bmomof3619
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

We'll see how tomorrow mornings smoothies go, I used all the greek yogurt I bought this AM (I only bought 2 because I didn't know if they'd like it) The rest is regular vanilla and plain yogurt. Although I may rethink adding extra sugar since they both drank the smoothies, my DS actually drank about 10oz worth (2 little 5oz cups), so if they like it w/o the sugar, why give them extra, kwim, but if I do sweeten, I will try with honey first.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

If they like it without sugar stick withit!!

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

We'll see how tomorrow mornings smoothies go, I used all the greek yogurt I bought this AM (I only bought 2 because I didn't know if they'd like it) The rest is regular vanilla and plain yogurt. Although I may rethink adding extra sugar since they both drank the smoothies, my DS actually drank about 10oz worth (2 little 5oz cups), so if they like it w/o the sugar, why give them extra, kwim, but if I do sweeten, I will try with honey first.

soon2bmomof3619
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That's my plan. DD didn't seem to like it as much as DS, but she did the same thing she did with the milkshakes I made last night, just stuck her hand in the cup and played with it. She's still thinking open top cups are for playing in. I am going to get them some straw cups for their smoothies. My plan is to replace their poptart or cereal with a smoothie or yogurt and granola.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If they like it without sugar stick withit!!

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I'm like the most boring smoothie maker ever, LOL. I do a banana, frozen blueberries, and the "antioxidant blend" frozen berries (or frozen strawberries, peaches, & pineapple- basically whatever is in the freezer) and put in enough...GASP... WATER!! to make it blend up. My kids love it, so I don't add anything extra. Do the same thing and freeze it and you've got popsicles :-)

If I were going to make a yogurt based smoothie, I'd use strawberry-banana flavored regular yogurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmomof3619
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Strawberry  banana yogurt doesn't last long in my house, my kids love yogurt....period, and DF would eat one of the big stawberry banana yogurts by himself. I like the popsicle idea though, my kids LOVE freeze pops, so maybe I should invest in some popsicle molds and some plastic sticks and make them some good freeze pops that I wont feel bad about them having.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)