Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Toddler Dental Health

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
I need advice and tips.

My daughter is just about 20 months. She got her first teeth at 11 months and we have been brushing once a day since then. We started with just water, then I used a little baking soda and water. Now I was thinking about using a tiny bit of my toothpaste (coconut oil, baking soda, peppermint oil, and xylitol) but I am not sure if that's a good idea since she will just eat/swallow it.

She loves copying me while brushing teeth but screams 80% of the time when I take over. I think it has to do with new teeth coming in and sore gums but I think it also has to do with her upper lip tie. It's pretty hard to get her top two teeth clean. I keep reading about two-year-olds with rotten teeth because of upper lip ties and now I'm a little panicked.

What gentle techniques are there to get her teeth brushed and what natural things can I do to keep her teeth healthy?

We try to eat healthy, I limit juice but she does get some, she doesn't get food or juice after brushing teeth at night but she does nurse at bedtime and sometimes during the night.
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I dont think if she swallowed your homemade toothpaste it would matter. its all edible healhty stuff. I just read about oil pulling (gargglin with oil) i think I may try and see if my dd will give it a go. my dd yells when I take over becasue she wants to do it herself... I just let her brush longer now and then finish it up a bit. she will probably like your toothpaste so much better than just baking soda. I think your doing fine. 

conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as monalisasus above  ^^^^

Since 2 years old probably isn't the age where your little one will gargle on her own, maybe you could brush with the oil? maybe add some mint- or cinnamon- flavored stevia drops to it even? I´ve done oil pulling with sunflower oil for myself, but haven't tried it with my toddler yet.  Would be interesting to see if he likes it.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

bump

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I let my 15 month old chew on the toothbrush. I try to get them clean after too. Most of the time I take a wash cloth and wipe the teeth down. He cooperates better that way. But he BITES! Nothing like trying to brush a toddlers teeth when they don't want you too!

lifeforchrist
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

you will want to add oil to the baking soda bs can be too hard on teeth. I also just use my finger to put oil on my daughters teeth at night. Have you tried a finger brush for the top teeth? I'd also start giving fish oil since its essential to the health of teeth.

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Yeah sometimes I use a washcloth too. It does seem easier that way! She actually let me flip up her lip and look at her teeth last light (she is SO STUBBORN so this was a huge accomplishment) and they don't look too bad. The top of her teeth along the gums had a little plaque but I think if I let her brush, demonstrate brushing, then use the washcloth to finish up, I should be able to help her form good habits and get her teeth nice and clean.

I do want her to see a dentist about the lip tie though, it's made nursing a huge PIA but we worked through it and I'm not concerned about it affecting latch anymore, now I'm just concerned about how the tie will affect her teeth. I'm worried, though, that the dentist and I won't get along since I tend to disagree with most mainstream medical professionals....

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

I let my 15 month old chew on the toothbrush. I try to get them clean after too. Most of the time I take a wash cloth and wipe the teeth down. He cooperates better that way. But he BITES! Nothing like trying to brush a toddlers teeth when they don't want you too!

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely add the coconut oil when brushing. We dont have a finger brush but maybe oil on a washcloth will work?

I will also look into giving her fish oil. We can't have seafood in the house so I know we need a good supplement there anyway and I was hoping to get some good supplement or diet advice for healthy teeth and gums =) thanks!

Quoting lifeforchrist:

you will want to add oil to the baking soda bs can be too hard on teeth. I also just use my finger to put oil on my daughters teeth at night. Have you tried a finger brush for the top teeth? I'd also start giving fish oil since its essential to the health of teeth.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I use a flouride free toothpaste and I had my daughter's lip tie cut so that she wouldn't have tooth decay. She also hates her teeth brushed due to sensory issues. I just have to brush them and she screams. We try singing a song and I let her help after I'm done. I know she hates it but she needs them brushed!

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Who should I have look at her lip tie? When we had latch issues nobody mentioned lip tie and she was seen by an ent, speech pathologist, and a few pedis. Do I just need to see a pedi dentist? I even mentioned lip tie once and they brushed me off saying it doesn't cause latch issues and someone said she didnt have one. They also told me posterior tongue tie doesn't exist.

Quoting jconney80:

I use a flouride free toothpaste and I had my daughter's lip tie cut so that she wouldn't have tooth decay. She also hates her teeth brushed due to sensory issues. I just have to brush them and she screams. We try singing a song and I let her help after I'm done. I know she hates it but she needs them brushed!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Nursing wont cause cavities, you are doing what you can momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)