Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not pregnant or nursing but craving mushrooms?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM
  • 10 Replies
Anyone have any idea why I would be craving mushrooms? I crave the plain white cap mushrooms. Although I havent had a ton of different ones in my life, I've just had the white and bellas
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NtrlMama
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My personal favorites are shiitake mushrooms.  I have a really yummy recipe for a hot and sour soup with shiitake mushrooms and I have a super fresh source at a local Asian market.  If I had to guess, I would say that your craving stems from a weak immune system.  Mushrooms are a good immune booster (among other things, capsesin-found in jalapenos, lemon, ginger).  If you don't mind hot things, you can find the recipe for the soup I mentioned at http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/shiitake-hot-and-sour-soup  If you don't, you can probably leave out the jalepenos?   

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It is my understanding that any craving at any time means that your body needs some vitamin, mineral, or amino acid in that food and that this is your body's way of expressing it.  Hence you crave sugar when you sugar levels are low, or you crave citrus when your body needs vitamin c.

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Not sure what vitamine they are strong with, but you are probably lacking the nutrients found in mushrooms, thats why carving exists to boost a nutrient that we are deficent
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Thanks ladies. :-)
sjk_maybe_mom
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Mushrooms are huge in vitamin d.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
mushrooms are high in folic acid too
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I am vit d deficient. So that makes sense
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I was thinking vitamin D also.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I was thinking vitamin deficiency!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I was always told if you are craving something it is a way for your body to tell you what you need. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)