Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

lip tie

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

So I just now realized my dd has a major lip tie....she is almost three years old and I had such a stuggle breastfeeding we did however make it to 14 months when she self weaned but I feel she would have gotten so much more milk if I knew about this problem before...shes was always just so small. Funny what you learn the second time around. I am thinking of getting hers cut it seems to prevent a lot of dental problems...now I just fond this out yesterday...would you have a three year old lip tie cut??...she seems her speach is fine but she has a gap between her front teeth. 

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I have a 2.5 year old with a sever upper lip tie.  We also made it until 15 months when he self-weaned...

There is no reason that we'd get it clipped now.  He has a gap between his teeth, but we don't find it alarming...  We practice *decent* oral hygeine (as good as one can with a two-year-old!), so I'm fine with leaving it.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I would rather leave it but I hear there is a big chance then shell need braces and a snip is much cheaper than braces. or worse a platlet expander. Am I just reading way too many articles and should just worry more about the baby on the way?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I have a 2.5 year old with a sever upper lip tie.  We also made it until 15 months when he self-weaned...

There is no reason that we'd get it clipped now.  He has a gap between his teeth, but we don't find it alarming...  We practice *decent* oral hygeine (as good as one can with a two-year-old!), so I'm fine with leaving it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I would since it can destroy teeth

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Its more about it rotting the teeth over the braces

Quoting monalisasus:

I would rather leave it but I hear there is a big chance then shell need braces and a snip is much cheaper than braces. or worse a platlet expander. Am I just reading way too many articles and should just worry more about the baby on the way?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I would maybe get it checked because it sounds like a more severe one.

My kids (2.5 yrs and 7 months) both have lip ties, but they haven't interfered with breastfeeding or oral health at this point, so I am waiting for them to break on their own or just leave them.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Did you or your babydaddy have braces?  Likely your children will, then...

I spoke with a nurse in a dental practice, and she said that kiddos with a space between their teeth are actually LESS prone to needing braces, as this indicates that there is extra space in their mouth...

Clip if you want.  I'm not going to!

Quoting monalisasus:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yes I would because of the dental problems it can cause in the future. If it hasn't stretched out by now it probably won't. 

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I had a lip tie that I cut myself by falling on my face at my kindergarten park. My mom was unable to breastfeed me and I think that's why. At this point, I wouldn't snip it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

It can actually cause orthodontal problems and change the shape of their mouth. It can cause teeth to move around and be pulled up. It can cause the roof of the mouth to be really high which causes orthodontal problems. There are SO many issues with lip and tongue ties. My older two kids both had a lip tie that affected BF but it was thin. It stretched out over time and it is nonexistent now. My youngest had a very thick one that would not have grown out. I had it cut with a laser. But my son has ties on the sides of his upper gums that pull his mouth close to his back molars on top so I have to pull it up to clean really good up  there so look out for that too.

Quoting monalisasus:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I think I will make a dentist apt and see what they say

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)