Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

The dreaded flu shot.

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 22 Replies
We don't get the flu shot. Ever. But I know some kids in my DDs class will. Now we all know first graders aren't exactly the most, hygienic. I've been drilling lately washing hands, coughing/sneezing into elbow, more hand washing and if I could put her in a bubble I would. I don't want/nor can I afford for these kids to get my DD sick and then me and ugh.

Right now she just takes her kids vitamin and her fiber gummy. Anything else I can do or give her?
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Look into incorporating Elderberry into your daily routine...

Heymamashakeit
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Oh yes elderberry! Gotta get some. Any good brands?
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No.  The HERB Elderberry.  You can purchase the dried berries from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ and then stew it yourself to extract the juice.  Then use in smoothies or put into honey or use in place of liquid in recipes.

If you purchase already made syrup, it's CRAZY expensive!

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Also look into Essential Oils to help prevent illnesses. 

Our group guru, jellyphish, might be able to give you some tips to keep the flu at bay.  (Tea Tree EO and Lemon EO in a carrier oil rubbed on her feet at night will give you a good start...).

Heymamashakeit
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Thanks for the tip! I haven't gotten the syrup but didn't know I could just stew my own. Can I store it? Can I just give it to the kids straight? (6&2) how would I dose it?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

No.  The HERB Elderberry.  You can purchase the dried berries from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ and then stew it yourself to extract the juice.  Then use in smoothies or put into honey or use in place of liquid in recipes.

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Yeah I hate the 'flu shot' season. Especially the flu mist

The above suggestions are great, but to add, we go through a LOT of mangos, especially during fall. They are high in vit c and are antiviral. They help your immune system stay alert. Haha.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM

A general dose (of nearly any herb) is one teaspoon.  So if you put 10 teaspoons of dried elderberry into about three cups of water and let it stew, the resulting concoction (no matter the final volume) will be 10 doses. 

Store it in the fridge for about 3 days.  Or put it into 10 ice cube trays and pop a "dose" out and give it to kiddo.  You CAN give it straight, but it's not sweet and not super nice on its own.  You'd probably have a better response from your kiddos if you were to mix it into something else.

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Thanks for the tip! I haven't gotten the syrup but didn't know I could just stew my own. Can I store it? Can I just give it to the kids straight? (6&2) how would I dose it?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Jenn8604
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Aloe Vera juice is great to use too. I use this for my son instead of vitamins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vcory
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Bubbie pickles are a great probiotic. They contain more probiotics than an entire jar of probiotic supplements. You can get them at Whole Foods or most natural grocers.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Lots of natural probiotics food and probiotics in a capsule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)