Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Did you have a mentally traumatic birth experience?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you have a mentally or emotionally traumatic birth experience?

Options:

Yes to a traumatic birth experience

No traumatic birth experience

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

IRL and online I've met a lot of ladies who have had bad experiences with a birth.  Some have sought counseling to move past it, and others have worked through it by themselves.

Do you classify any of your births as traumatic?  If you care to, give us the highlights and let us know how (if!) you were able to get on track afterward.

(I've purposely only included a "yes" or "no" to this simple poll.  If you had a "somewhat" traumatizing experience, it's up to you on how to label it).

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monkiebut
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM
I said yes mainly cause it was emotionally traumatic due to being degraded, horrible bedside manor and being forced into unnecessary interventions. My first was physically traumatic as I got an unneeded c section resulting in a uterine infection lasting 6 months.
hapababies
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I had a real mainstream ob for my first birth. He was all about interventions, but it is partly my fault for not being more educated and telling him no when things didn't feel right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
My first was scary. The week prior to having her the nursing staff dropped the ball and events escalated. Ended up being induced at 36 weeks. Lots of complications and a very sick baby. My OB came in on New Years Eve and she was supposed to be off. She was either in my room or just outside the entire time. I think she was nervous about a possible lawsuit if anything went wrong considering it was her staffs fault things were going so terribly. She was actually really good and kept reassuring me. She told me she would do any thing to prevent a c-section and I am thankful she did.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My 2nd birth was my most traumatic and I equate it to birth rape.

I was drugged without permission with nubain, I had back labor because my daughter was posterior, and then I couldn't breath through the contractions because I was drugged.  My transition consisted of one long 20 min contraction (because of malpresentation) and then while I was pushing my doctor decided to reach in and grab my daughters head to rotate her around, well that HURT, so I screamed at him to stop touching me and moved myself up the bed.

Since then he couldn't reach me the nurse grabbed my leg and yanked me back down the bed and then forcibly held my leg up in a position that hurt while the doctor reached inside of me (after cutting me all the way to my rectum) and pulled my baby out of me, all while I was screaming at everyone to stop touching me.

I can remember the labor like it was yesterday, but I don't remember seeing my daughter for the first time, or anything about my hospital stay, or even a week or two after she was born and I was home.

This plus the next birth did a number on me.  I have panic attacks at the thought of entering hospitals or talking to a doctor.

I did have 2 incredibly healing homebirths, but I still have the panic attacks. 

larissalarie
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Nah, no trauma here. My first wasn't ideal, but I've never understood getting all hung up on that kinda thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I did not menally prepare my self for my first birth experience.

nikzup03
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

nope, none. :)

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM

My son had the cord around his neck pretty tight, he could not come down. The doctor had to cut the cord then pull him out. His shoulder got stuck on the way out. He was purple and not crying. The staff was great! There was no indication anything was wrong until I was in labor. His heart rate kept dropping. My epidural did not work and I will never get one of those again. I had a spinal fluid leak! It was scary, but the NICU team was so nice. When the sh** started to hit the fan, the doctor told my mom "no cameras". That scared her. I did not hear it, i was trying to push the baby out fast. I got to kiss his face before they whisked him away. It was enough for me to not want any more kids at the time. He is now a healthy 15 month old boy!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm glad everything turned out ok.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

My son had the cord around his neck pretty tight, he could not come down. The doctor had to cut the cord then pull him out. His shoulder got stuck on the way out. He was purple and not crying. The staff was great! There was no indication anything was wrong until I was in labor. His heart rate kept dropping. My epidural did not work and I will never get one of those again. I had a spinal fluid leak! It was scary, but the NICU team was so nice. When the sh** started to hit the fan, the doctor told my mom "no cameras". That scared her. I did not hear it, i was trying to push the baby out fast. I got to kiss his face before they whisked him away. It was enough for me to not want any more kids at the time. He is now a healthy 15 month old boy!

conejoazul
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

This.  I "thought" I had educated myself enough prior to my first birth, but now, six additional books later, I continue to learn what I didn't learn before about how I could be a better participant in my child's birth.  My son's birth didn't go as peacefully as I would like - but I would only label it traumatic from the point of view as to what he had to experience in the womb as a result of the interventions that I should have known how to avoid.  For me, I would say, it could have gone much better had I been better-educated and better-equipped to do what was right on my own, rather than letting others get their hands on my birth.  Even now, I remind myself, there is still a lot I probably won't know by the time I deliver in November.

Quoting hapababies:

I had a real mainstream ob for my first birth. He was all about interventions, but it is partly my fault for not being more educated and telling him no when things didn't feel right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN