Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Not vaccinating

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 32 Replies

As a new mom, I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to vaccinate my son or not, or selectively vaccinate. I am researching but would love to hear others opinions, or some direction... 

Thank you :)

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Post pone all vaccines until you're comfortable in your decision; you can always get them done but they can never be undone.

It took me over a year to make my decision. I initially researched only a few vaccines that I'd have done one at a time after first birthdays. But as I researched (and researched and researched) I decided to forego all vaccines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Start by researching the first ones that would be given. Get the list of all of them and when they are advised to be done. start at the top and see if it seems right to you to vax.
For me it was. but to each her own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NtrlMama
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the benefit of my physician's guidance on this one with my first two, now teenagers.  Personally, my discomfort was having that rigorous vaccination schedule (all those vaccines mixed and piled on one another in such a short time).  My doctor actually did a seminar in a local library on vaccines and covered the major ones, the risks versus benefits, etc.  It was fantastic!  I was "selective" about which ones I chose, and the main thing that got me thinking about it was the MMR vaccine.  My daughter, at 10 months, had a horrible reaction which included a 104 degree fever about 10 days to 2 weeks after the first vaccine.  It was scary.  I was happy to get her Rubella done separately, but refused the combo after that.  I refused the chicken pox vaccine on their schedule, but did have it done after the kids turned 12 because they had not contracted it. 

With this baby....14 years after my last...I will be "selective" again, however, I am going to be super in support of the DTap vaccine, because of the outbreak of whooping cough in several states and because it covers Tetanus and since we live on a farm, thats a must do anyway.  I recently got a booser and am having my teenagers done, as well as hubby AND my inlaws, parents and anyone else who wants to spend time with my LO before 2 months of age.  It's just too risky because people are contageous before they even have symptoms!  I am also getting a flu shot,in hopes that LO will get some immunity because I got really sick last year (over 2 weeks worth) and don't want to risk that with the baby or for myself. 

I think I will be taking each one under consideration separately and decide as I go.  That's what's best for me and my LO.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

It took my over 4 years to finally make a decision for our family, so my oldest was fully vaxed till 4 and my youngest was fully vaxed till a year. I just got to scarred of all the stories and studies with negative effects and no longer wanted to take the chance...

maddiesmommy5
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM

DD was delayed/selectively vaxed until about 5 yrs. Then I stopped all together. This baby will not be vaxed at all. The Choosing Not To Vaccinate group on here is great, they have lots of info and links for research.

SeattleBabyBump
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I personally believe that vaccines are more risk than benefit, especially for kids under 2. We won't vax our family. Be especially wary of the DTap vaccine. It's the most volatile and most linked with SIDS. The pertussis vaccine is also extremely ineffective. Don't believe the marketing campaigns. Do your own research.
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM

We stopped vaccinating my son after he had a severe reaction and almsot died.  Pm me and I can give you some info to start researching for yourself.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Start with a list of diseases that are vaccinated for. Then, look up NORMAL PRESENTATION for those diseases. Many diseases are harmless and it's the rare complications that are touted all the time by doctors.  Like polio.  Less than 1% of cases are paralytic. Of those 1%, most recover. When. I'm on my phone later ill give you a couple link, but the group choosing not to vaccinate has a great reference library, and when you have specific questions, that's for sure the group to ask. 

RADmomma
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM
You've been given great info!!!

My biggest advice to anyone questioning it... Don't vax until your sure... You can always catch up but you can never take them back.

I started researching while pregnant with my first dd, 6 years ago. After looking at the risks compared to the supposed benefits and ingredients we knew that for our family vaccinating wasn't worth the risk.

Both of my girls 6 yrs & almost 10 months are completely vax free!!
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
http://www.drkurtperkins.com/2012/05/my-crystal-clear-stance-on-vaccines.html?m=1

This is a good article that goes over every disease. Sorry it's not clicky. It's long but a good read.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN