Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Alternatives to the glucose test

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GoodyBrook
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I can't be the only one who hates a "clicky," can I?  I don't like the page to change!  Anyway, here's the artical:

Of all things odd and wrong about the medical establishment today, this one’s really hard for me to understand! Most women who have kids and who I know are pregnant absolutely hate the glucose test for gestational diabetes because of the flat, colored soda drink you have to gulp down. What is it made of anyway?

GLUTOLE ingredients: Glucose syrup, maltodextrin, purified water, acidity control compound E330, preservative E211, cola aroma, foodstuff colour E150, and carbonic acid.

Preservatives and food colouring? Acidity control compound? Yuck! This is not food folks! Sure, many pregnant moms wouldn’t care, they probably eat a ton of mass produced garbage with similar additives every day (so do the kids). Me? Never in a million years. I haven’t had even a sip of soda in three years. I wish I knew what’s in this glucose drink with my first pregnancy.

So, never mind that this unhealthy absurdity is given to us and our fetuses. Take this – for the 1 hour test you can substitute this toxic drink with two slices of bread and one banana (50 grams of glucose). How do I know? I did the test last week. All I had to do is tell my midwife that I do not want to do the test and she said “You know what, you don’t have to drink that flat soda drink, here is a list of things you can bring with you and eat at the lab instead.” What? Why wasn’t I told this before? Why isn’t every woman told this, that she has a choice? This made me a little angry – especially at my last OB who knew I dislike all things ‘unnatural’ and never told me this information.

Moreover, no procedure can be forced on you and your unborn baby. You have the right to refuse anything. Though I do not recommend skipping the test if you are overweight or have a family history of diabetes/gestational diabetes, if you know you are healthy and eat a healthy diet – it’s your choice. It isn’t mandatory.

All this was news to me, so I just had to share! There is so little information about it online. Just ask your care provider and they should be able to tell you about the alternatives. I was given a handout for what I could eat and it includes combinations for the 3 hour GTT (100 grams of glucose), for the one hour I could just pick a combination of ingredients that equaled 50 grams of glucose. Here are the approximate glucose numbers for each item:

30 6 oz Grape juice

15 Slice of bread

30 cup of cereal

20 banana

12 cup of milk

30 two slices of bread

40 16 oz orange juice

40 8 oz apple juice

So for example, for the 1 hour test I could take half a banana with 8 oz of apple juice which equals 50 grams of glucose. I chose from whatever I had on hand and had the two slices of bread with a whole banana. This is what our lab has come up with, be sure to ask your care provider first though and don’t just show up at the lab with what I’ve told you! No pregnant mom should have to gulp down that toxic drink, I hope this is helpful!

SeattleBabyBump
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:33 AM
My midwives were not open to alternatives so I turned down the test and instead monitored my blood sugars at home for a week.
JoeysApple
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I feel like just drinking that could give someone gestational diabetes! I did do the test because I'm overweight and didn't feel I should skip it, but I asked about alternatives....I was told no, absolutely nothing can replicate the results. I didn't believe it, but I didn't feel like fighting it.

I'm bringing intact back! His body, his choice.

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
my test is Oct 14
I tried to do one of those alternatives, but this office only does the drink, or eating jelly beans

I'm going to try the jelly beans
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM

When I worked at the clinic it actually said at the bottom of the glucose test a jelly bean option but no one ever used it or offered it.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Awesome good info
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Quoting comptonkids:

my test is Oct 14
I tried to do one of those alternatives, but this office only does the drink, or eating jelly beans

Your OB will accept the results from any lab. 

You do not have to have your bloodwork, etc. done in-house if you're not comfortable.  Ask them to write the order and you can hand it in to any lab you want...

Find a lab that offers what YOU want!  Don't be held hostage by an attitude of "one-size fits all!" 

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM
he IS more accommodating for the 3 hr
he let someone 'eat a big breakfast' after her initial draw

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting comptonkids:

my test is Oct 14

Your OB will accept the results from any lab. 

You do not have to have your bloodwork, etc. done in-house if you're not comfortable.  Ask them to write the order and you can hand it in to any lab you want...

Find a lab that offers what YOU want!  Don't be held hostage by an attitude of "one-size fits all!" 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN