Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Could a dr tell on an U/S

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 35 Replies
If my hips are too close together, which would mean I couldn't deliver a baby because my birth canal wouldn't widen for a baby to fit thru?
I had a c section because the Dr wasn't sure if it was my 8lb 13oz baby that most likely wouldn't fit thru which was why I wasn't dilating past a 6 (I honestly wasn't checked for over an hr and half when he said this) or I would be too small to deliver any baby at all. I know my aunt (moms lil sis)had an emergency c section when my cousin got stuck in the birth canal, because she has narrow hips and a narrow birth canal and was wondering if this could be a genetic thing? and if so can they tell on an U/S?
I'm sure my Dr wouldnt tell me because c sections make him more money. But IF I ever find a guy and want more kids I would like a home water birth and I'd love to know before thinking of another kid in concrete terms if I could or I would just have to do c sections. If so Id want him to do my c section because I have minimal scarring. If not I'm looking into getting a midwife.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
3 moms liked this
No they cannot tell that. It's incredibly unlikely that you'd grow a baby too large for your body to deliver, it just isn't logical for nature to allow that.
It's FAR FAR more likely that the medical-ization of birth caused your issues. If you were induced, it's likely your body just wasn't ready, c section is a big risk when you're induced. If you were laboring laying down on a hospital bed, that could've caused the problems. If you had an epidural, that could've stopped/stalled your labor. If things were completely natural and none of the things I mentioned were a factor, it could've just been your body stalling labor on it's own to allow you and/or baby to rest before the final crazy intense stage ...unfortunately most medical settings rush for the "big baby" c section when this natural normal phenomenon occurs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I refused to be induced and went into labor naturally.
Explain then why my cousin got stuck because my aunt just was too small to deliver a baby. My cousin got stuck, she had an emergency c section, her heart rate skyrocketed his dropped. and was a cone head for WEEKS. She LITERALLY couldn't naturally deliver a baby.

Quoting larissalarie:

No they cannot tell that. It's incredibly unlikely that you'd grow a baby too large for your body to deliver, it just isn't logical for nature to allow that.

It's FAR FAR more likely that the medical-ization of birth caused your issues. If you were induced, items likely your body just wasn't ready, c section is a big risk when you're induced. If you were laboring laying down on a hospital bed, that could've caused the problems. If you had an epidural, that could've stopped/stalled your labor. If things were completely natural and none of the things I mentioned were a factor, it could've just been your body stalling labor on it's own to allow you and/or baby to rest before the final crazy intense stage...unfortunately most medical settings rush for the "big baby" c section when this natural normal phenomenon occurs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Sometimes the pushng position makes it difficult for baby to pass through, causing heart rates to drop and mom pushing for hours. The positions doctors and hospitals want mom to push in is one of the worse positions to give birth because baby has to go up over the tailbone.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I'm not going to argue, you asked I gave my answer :-) I'm not a big person, I'm 5' 3" and have about as narrow hips as a person can have. I was told by a doctor I couldn't deliver a baby over 8 pounds vaginal. Well 2 of my children have been WELL over 8 pounds (9/3 & 9/12) and they were easy vaginal deliveries.

I would guess your aunt was pushing laying on her back? (like I asked in the last comment) That narrows the pelvis by like a third and does make it "impossible" sometimes and pushing in a different position would remedy things.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Explain then why my cousin got stuck because my aunt just was too small to deliver a baby. My cousin got stuck, she had an emergency c section, her heart rate skyrocketed his dropped. and was a cone head for WEEKS. She LITERALLY couldn't naturally deliver a baby.

Quoting larissalarie:

It's FAR FAR more likely that the medical-ization of birth caused your issues. If you were induced, items likely your body just wasn't ready, c section is a big risk when you're induced. If you were laboring laying down on a hospital bed, that could've caused the problems. If you had an epidural, that could've stopped/stalled your labor. If things were completely natural and none of the things I mentioned were a factor, it could've just been your body stalling labor on it's own to allow you and/or baby to rest before the final crazy intense stage...unfortunately most medical settings rush for the "big baby" c section when this natural normal phenomenon occurs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM
2 moms liked this
They could tell you if you had a deformity, that would make it hard to have a child vaginaly but chances are you don't. Most deformations are from lack of nutrition growing up/before birth, many,many, many generations ago children and pregnant women sometimes didn't get the nutrition they needed while pregnant and it caused bone deformations.

There are times when a baby can get stuck and a c-section can be a life saver. But It's very,very rare and more likely that a doctor will jump the gun for a c-section for money or to avoid the what ifs and being sued.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

An OB could not tell with 100% certainty.  They're making their best assessment, and generally err on the side of caution and safety--perhaps a bit of convenience thrown in as well.

A chiropractor would have a better chance at telling if your body is capable of a natural birth.  Why not go to get a second opinion?

And feel free to join us over in the VBAC Moms group here on CM.  It's a nice place to start your VBAC journey--even if it's decades away!  :)

JoeysApple
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Here are some posts with a lot of information relative to your questions. She is very thorough in her sources and comes off unbiased, simply delivering the information.

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/friedmans-curve-and-failure-to-progress-a-leading-cause-of-unplanned-c-sections/

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/what-is-the-evidence-for-pushing-positions/

As for YOUR babies being to big for you to deliver vaginally, I think it's possible, however from everything I have learned and read about the birth process, the majority of women's body's do not make babies they can't deliver. I think it may have more to do with the way a woman labors (positions, interventions, stress, etc). Most women in the hospital labor and push while on their backs, but in this position the pelvis is at its smallest. Squatting or kneeling allow the pelvis to open up and become wider.

While I'm not particularly small (5'5"), my son was 9lb 12oz and delivered via home waterbirth. I had to change positions quite a few times (mostly squatting) and my midwife had to help get the shoulders out, but I did it and he was perfectly healthy. My sister on the other hand is 5feet even, 115lbs and delivered her first baby weighing 9lb 3oz. She was laying in a hospital bed and they did need to use a vacuum on him, but both her and baby were in good condition as well.

I'm bringing intact back! His body, his choice.

Jenn8604
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Quoting GoodyBrook:

An OB could not tell with 100% certainty.  They're making their best assessment, and generally err on the side of caution and safety--perhaps a bit of convenience thrown in as well.

A chiropractor would have a better chance at telling if your body is capable of a natural birth.  Why not go to get a second opinion?

And feel free to join us over in the VBAC Moms group here on CM.  It's a nice place to start your VBAC journey--even if it's decades away!  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM
thank you :)

Quoting JoeysApple:

Here are some posts with a lot of information relative to your questions. She is very thorough in her sources and comes off unbiased, simply delivering the information.

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/friedmans-curve-and-failure-to-progress-a-leading-cause-of-unplanned-c-sections/

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/what-is-the-evidence-for-pushing-positions/

As for YOUR babies being to big for you to deliver vaginally, I think it's possible, however from everything I have learned and read about the birth process, the majority of women's body's do not make babies they can't deliver. I think it may have more to do with the way a woman labors (positions, interventions, stress, etc). Most women in the hospital labor and push while on their backs, but in this position the pelvis is at its smallest. Squatting or kneeling allow the pelvis to open up and become wider.

While I'm not particularly small (5'5"), my son was 9lb 12oz and delivered via home waterbirth. I had to change positions quite a few times (mostly squatting) and my midwife had to help get the shoulders out, but I did it and he was perfectly healthy. My sister on the other hand is 5feet even, 115lbs and delivered her first baby weighing 9lb 3oz. She was laying in a hospital bed and they did need to use a vacuum on him, but both her and baby were in good condition as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1. No you did not ask in your last comment.
2. How should I know i wasn't there. He was over 10lbs and his head got wedged between her hip bones.
3. It would do you good to read the other comments and articles and stop thinking you know everything.

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm not going to argue, you asked I gave my answer :-) I'm not a big person, I'm 5' 3" and have about as narrow hips as a person can have. I was told by a doctor I couldn't deliver a baby over 8 pounds vaginal. Well 2 of my children have been WELL over 8 pounds (9/3 & 9/12) and they were easy vaginal deliveries.

I would guess your aunt was pushing laying on her back? (like I asked in the last comment) That narrows the pelvis by like a third and does make it "impossible" sometimes and pushing in a different position would remedy things.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)