Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Did you use a doula?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 17 Replies

Did you use a doula?

I did not but only because I couldn't find one.

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I didn't. I didn't want more people than necessary in the room and I don't like meeting new people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

When I vbac'd my 2nd I had a friend that had 3 natural childbirth expierences act as my doula.  She was amazing.  She would have been at my 3rd birth as well but went into labor the same day as me :)

melindabelcher
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
No.
I had great midwives and dh. Unfortunately all have been at a hospital. But each labor I got what I wanted. Although what I wanted has changed with each delivery
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Yes I did. My friend was my doula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I did not.

With my first I had never heard the term. But looking back I wish I had. I honestly think a doula could have helped prevent my csection...

I tried with my second but the o ly one in my area was FULL with other clients around my due date.

But she taught dh & I a lot & honestly think her input during my pregnancy helped us achieve my vbac!!!
GoodyBrook
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Not with my first, and I ended up with a c-section.  I'd put all my cards on my midwife and she choked...

I was in transition and began to falter during my VBAC.  The nurse put a call into her Doula friend, and I had support roar in like the Lone Ranger.  She was amazing to both DH and I...

SeattleBabyBump
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:37 AM
No. I thought my midwife would be all I needed. I was surprised to discover that my midwife didn't stay with me the whole time. I was at a birth center and she and the student midwife kept disappearing in a nearby room until I got to the pushing phase. I thought I would have constant support. For that, I will hire a doula next time.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:54 AM
No, and I wish I would have.
artsymomma3
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Yes, I had a friend who is training to be a doula.  A second support was really nice.  She is training to provide services to our area.  The closest doula is a good 3 hour drive. 

vcory
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I'm a doula and I'm planning on having a good friend who is also a doula attend. If she can't end up being there (she lives 3.5 hours away) then I won't have one. I'm very picky about who will be there :) 2 of my clients have birthed with my midwife so I've seen her in action. She stays with you 98-99% of the time and is *very* involved. She was a doula before becoming a midwife so she knows all the techniques. They also require a 2nd licensed midwife to attend and there are also 2-3 student midwives attending. It's a lot of people and I don't really like that but there's always at least 2 people helping you out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN