Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pumping

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son was born naturally at the hospital on Satyrsay (9/21/13) and developed a spontaneous pneumothorax that lanced him in the NICU. Because of that I half been unable to nurse directly like i had planned and have been pumping for 5 days. Because of this I am worried about getting my supply up to where it needs to be and about making the transition to breast in the next few days. 

I will be going back to work tomorrow so I can spend my full maternity leave at home and I will pimp there as well , just every 4 hours instead of every 2 like I have at home. What else can I do to keep my supply up and prepare for EBF down the road?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I personally would work in getting him back.in the breast so that when you are together you can nurse in demand, and it will help keep your supply up as well as the other many benefits along with nursing. Have you seen an ibclc yet and tried to work on getting a latch?

Other outside ways to help with supply is fenugreek, mothers milk tea, oatmeal, brewers yeast and staying hydrated of course :)
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Demand to see an IBCLC (an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant).  They're awesome.  ANYONE can become a Lactation Consultant, but it's tons of schooling to achieve IBCLC status.

Is your LO home with you yet?  I'd recommend a few days of skin-to-skin with baby before even considering going back to work.  This will do wonders at helping both you and the babe regulate to each other...

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you checked out the Breastfeeding group here on CM?  They're super active and will give you great answers to all your BFing questions!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

consistence and pump as often as possible.  Freeze it in small amounts so it doesn't get wasted.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Pump every 2-3 hours round the clock, stay hydrated, massage and compress while pumping, eat oatmeal

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

If you literally can not nurse then you MUST pump every two hours around the clock to begin with and after a few weeks you can try to space it to 3 hours...You need that demand for milk and that is only met by pumping or nursing as often as you can. I exclusively pumped for 6 months and when I tried to space out my pumpings I started losing supply and never recovered from it. 

la_sirena22
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM

He is not home yet unfortunately :( I worked today because I do not want to waste my maternity leave before he gets home! He should be discharged Monday or Tuesday. I was able to pump every 3 hours at work (thankfully!) but I only got out about 2 oz per side per time and it frustrates me. I will start leave as soon as I know he's coming home. In the meantime I am drinking mothers milk tea and taking fenugreek. I am just SO ready to begin EBF!

la_sirena22
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I met with a certified lactation consultant the day I gave birth. I have talked to her twice since and followed her advice. I just wish he was on the boob already! 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Demand to see an IBCLC (an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant).  They're awesome.  ANYONE can become a Lactation Consultant, but it's tons of schooling to achieve IBCLC status.

Is your LO home with you yet?  I'd recommend a few days of skin-to-skin with baby before even considering going back to work.  This will do wonders at helping both you and the babe regulate to each other...

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting la_sirena22:

He is not home yet unfortunately :( I worked today because I do not want to waste my maternity lea ve before he gets home! He should be discharged Monday or Tuesday. I was able to pump every 3 hours at work (thankfully!) but I only got out about 2 oz per side per time and it frustrates me. I will start leave as soon as I know he's coming home. In the meantime I am drinking mothers milk tea and taking fenugreek. I am just SO ready to begin EBF!

YOU'RE DOING GREAT!  You are double, DOUBLE the high end of typical for what a mama pumps.  (Standard is .5 ounce to 2 ounces from both sides combined).

Pump to keep up your supply, but honestly I wouldn't bother with augmenting your supply with supplements.  They could be setting you up for a fierce case of over-supply down the road.  (Both my LOs ended up staying in Hospital after birth, so I had to pump while they were there.  Both times I ended up with severe oversupply).

Keep up the hard work, mama!

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM

your doing great!!!!!!!!!! .5 to 1 ounces is the average that any pumping mom should expect lol so you are above average and thats amazing...

Quoting la_sirena22:

He is not home yet unfortunately :( I worked today because I do not want to waste my maternity leave before he gets home! He should be discharged Monday or Tuesday. I was able to pump every 3 hours at work (thankfully!) but I only got out about 2 oz per side per time and it frustrates me. I will start leave as soon as I know he's coming home. In the meantime I am drinking mothers milk tea and taking fenugreek. I am just SO ready to begin EBF!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)