Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Vinegar and wool dryer balls

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 13 Replies
I'm thinking about ordering some wool dryer balls, specifically for my cloth diapers since I can't use dryer sheets with them, but I'll probably end up using them for all of my laundry. I was reading about some on Etsy, and it said to reduce static throw in some vinegar with your laundry. I'm assuming I can't do this with my cloth diapers though?
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I use vinegar with all of my laundry. DH has issue with fabric softener. Vinegar is the cd safe version of fabric softener as it rinses out entirely instead of sitting in the fabric (which is why you can't use fabric softener). Wool dryer balls are great, they keep the laundry fluffy in the dryer and shorten drying times for everything, not just dipes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnunley
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM

You can easily mkae your own wool balls, cheaper than you can buy it!

http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2012/11/how-to-make-felted-wool-dryer-balls.html

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:23 AM
So I can just use white vinegar when I wash my cloth diapers?

Quoting polkaspots:

I use vinegar with all of my laundry. DH has issue with fabric softener. Vinegar is the cd safe version of fabric softener as it rinses out entirely instead of sitting in the fabric (which is why you can't use fabric softener). Wool dryer balls are great, they keep the laundry fluffy in the dryer and shorten drying times for everything, not just dipes.

BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:23 AM
Thanks I'll check it out!

Quoting tnunley:

You can easily mkae your own wool balls, cheaper than you can buy it!

http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2012/11/how-to-make-felted-wool-dryer-balls.html

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Yep. I buy the large bottles and pour it in at the beginning of the last rinse cycle. I would say I use about 1/4 cup, but I just pour a splash out of the bottle. I'm lazy like that. I use it for all of my laundry though, not just my diapers. If you use too much you'll know. It's much better to use vinegar than fabric softener for things like cloth dipes, pads and regular washcloths and towels. The fabric softener makes cloth less absorbent.

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaBlue92
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Okay I have one of those big bottles in my pantry right now, thanks for the advice :)

Quoting polkaspots:

Yep. I buy the large bottles and pour it in at the beginning of the last rinse cycle. I would say I use about 1/4 cup, but I just pour a splash out of the bottle. I'm lazy like that. I use it for all of my laundry though, not just my diapers. If you use too much you'll know. It's much better to use vinegar than fabric softener for things like cloth dipes, pads and regular washcloths and towels. The fabric softener makes cloth less absorbent.

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Quoting polkaspots:

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM
You use it as fabric softener in the washer.

I have wool balls and love them.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I like vin for diapers becasuse it helps the smell too. I heard dryer sheets contain mercury so I havent used them in years...I need a wool ball

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I use vinegar on all of my clothes and dipes occaisionally. I have a regular top loader and just put about 1/2 cup vinegar in the downy ball.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

vinegar is fine with cloth diapers..in fact I use it pretty often

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)