Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Have you heard of common core curriculum? Does your school do it?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 36 Replies

I have a couple of friends who have brought common core curriculum to my attention. Their children just recently went from attending schools in our distrct to attending a private school. I had asked them why-in case I needed to know about something going on within the schools and they mentioned that PA schools are all going to common core curriculum. He sent me info on it but I haven't had a chance to really look into it.

Does your school do common core? Have you heard of it before now? What are your opinions on it.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikzup03
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

our school does it. i really don't have an opinion. i'm not really your "teaching type" (hence why i'm not a homeschooler) i do hear really good things about it though.

MacMamaof5
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Our schools are committed to common core.  I've heard about it before and I don't like the "one size fits all" idea that it does.  Another complaint that I agree with include the "dumbing down" of kids.  There are other things but the overall reason why I chose to home school is that my child learns differently and our family has committed to add more learning than the schools offer and also to omit things we think ought not be in a school system.  After visiting my child's class last year, I am sold out on Home Schooling. 

Magnolia7
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Common core is the reason we homeschool. It's an unconstitutional federalization of education, dumbs our kids down, and has worrisome data mining.
tnunley
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I don't know much about it, my kids are both under 3yo.  I do hear more complaints than compliments.  And I think homeschooling is on the rise because of it.   Though I also heard that they will eventually incorporate it into homeschool curriculum.  But don't quote me on that!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Magnolia7
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Homeschoolers still must fight it because it is invading many texts and the sats. We choose our own curriculum, therefore we do not use common core.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I am a teacher in NC and we do common core.  I like it for my Art class, no for regular classes..not so much.  BUT as educators no one cares our opinion

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Not a fan at all. I don't even know if my state does it but if they don't they will eventually. We don't use public school. 

JoeysApple
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Yes, Utah is doing it as well. I'm completely against it. The "one size fits all" is a big reason I'm against sending my kids to school to begin with and then they add this and it's lowering the standards. They always seem to be lowering the standards so others don't feel dumb, but they are pulling everyone down. I ran across a website last week of a bunch of teachers against implementing the common core and raising awareness because of this. I can't remember what the website is, but I'm sure you could google it if you want.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Common core has been implemented in ourllocal schools. I don't agree with it.With literature they are taking away reading Shakespeare and having the kids read manuals. They can't just say 40*60=240, they have to show how they got it. For highschool reading they have the kids read erotica. Also with language arts they are teaching kids to manipulate others.

I homeschool, but I watch common core very closely. It might affect us one day. I pray that it doesn't. I honestly believe it's going to dumb down our kids. Oh and don't forget with common core you get the wonderful government collecting data on your kid that could be used against him in the future.

Okay I'm done ranting now. lol
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I had someone tell me to shut up about common core, especially since I homeschool. I told him I won't shut up especially since they could decide to force it on homeschoolers.

Quoting Magnolia7:

Homeschoolers still must fight it because it is invading many texts and the sats. We choose our own curriculum, therefore we do not use common core.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN