Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What made you decide on how your child(ren) are schooled?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 20 Replies

What made you decide on how your child(ren) are schooled?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pipers_mom
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM
DD is the only one old enough for school, and we let her decide. We give her information on public school and homeschool and then answer any questions she may have.
Magnolia7
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM
We really looked at what we want our children to learn. Even in a private religious school, we realized there would have to be a lot of relearning at home. In addition, we wanted to slow down. It used to be a morning rush, then after school homework dinner activity bed. So now we homeschool.
cailliermommy
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Children aren't safe in public school. It's a one size fits all education. If you don't fit you fail. We homeschool and it's the best decision ever.
Analugojana
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM
I would have wanted to homeschool but can't afford to stay home. She went to ps for first grade here in Canada and it was BAD. She's in Romania now. Far better system.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

We started out homeschooling because of my husband's job.  We continue and are thankful for it because the more I pay attention to the public school system, the more I don't think it's a great fit for our family.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
You moved her to Romania for the school system?!

Quoting Analugojana:

I would have wanted to homeschool but can't afford to stay home. She went to ps for first grade here in Canada and it was BAD. She's in Romania now. Far better system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Public school for us, though I do believe alot of learning takes place at home and that its important to go over your childs work each day and talk about what they learned. Also I believe reading at home is extremely important. The tv pretty much is not turned on at all during the week while the kids are awake. Homeschool for us just would not be a good fit, I personally just do not have the patience or orgnization that would be needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I think with good parenting kids can get great education in any type of school setting.

We've done public, home, and charter and there are advantages and disadvantages to every option. How we've decided has at times been based on necessity (regular public), my preference (homeschool), and my daughter's preference to go back to "normal" school combined with an opportunity when an opening in the school became available (charter).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I'm a public school teachere and so my kids go t public school.  I believe they need more than that so we do unschooling too and lots of learning trips...like to the alpaca farm this past weekend

mjrex87
by Mindy on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan to home school DD for the first few years. I don't see much benefit to sending young children to public school where they have to sit in a desk for hours and then come home with homework. I do think there are benefits to public school for older kids though, so we will let her make the choice whether to attend public school or continue homeschooling. We haven't decided what age yet though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)