Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ANd people worry about homeschoolers!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 17 Replies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311690/The-family-sending-home-schooled-children-college-age-12.html

Do you homeschool? If so are your kids advanced for their age academically

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MacMamaof5
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM
3 moms liked this

I noticed my oldest was only allowed to get certain books from his library when he went to public school and thought to myself--why can't he be allowed to get something more advanced?  He said the teacher said it wasn't allowed.  So, when I pulled him and schooled him home, he is now safely back on track reading 5th grade books although he's only in the 3rd grade...and LOVING IT!!!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Schools dont know what to do when a child is ahead or behind.

Quoting MacMamaof5:

I noticed my oldest was only allowed to get certain books from his library when he went to public school and thought to myself--why can't he be allowed to get something more advanced?  He said the teacher said it wasn't allowed.  So, when I pulled him and schooled him home, he is now safely back on track reading 5th grade books although he's only in the 3rd grade...and LOVING IT!!!

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
My sisters and I were homeschooled for two years. My older sister tested into a higher grade.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

They always let my son read whatever level he tested at...did they not test his reading level?

Quoting MacMamaof5:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I really think homeschooling wuld education wise be great for my oldest, BUT he socially needs school.  I know he can be socialized when homeschooled!! He is a very ackward kiddo as for as social norms and he has found people like him at school...this has seriusly built his self confidence in a way I couldnt.  We tried scouts and he loves it but none of the boys click with him.  He also loves band.  Our school system will not allow nonpublic school kids to participate in band otherwise I wuld homeschool him.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I homeschool, and my kids are slightly advanced, but not that much!

Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I homeschooled for a year. It wasn't going any of us good so we decided to bite the bullet and put her in private school. She is dong very well. 10 years old and in 6th grade. She is dwarfed by the other girls.  Its not easy but she can graduate HS by 16 and have a two year degree by 18 and BS or BA by 20. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I was home schooled kindergarten and got to skip 1st grade when I went to a private school.

sha_lyn68
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

When My oldest was still in public school they refused to let the students check out books that were more than a full grade level below the level they tested at. They claimed they did it so that the students wouldn't be discouraged by reading something too hard. Honestly I think it was because they wanted the students to test well on the AR tests.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

They always let my son read whatever level he tested at...did they not test his reading level?

Quoting MacMamaof5:

MacMamaof5
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM

They went on a test, I think....My son had just finished a long move--out of someone's garage--started this school in the second half of it (January), and was brand spankin' new being tested on a computer in front of stranger students he'd never met--a classroom full!  It takes him a while to warm up...so if that is what they went by indeed...then I guess that's what it was....but mama's got his back....he's back where he wants to be!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting MacMamaof5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)