Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

newborn constipated :(

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 24 Replies

i am feeding my newborn enfamil it was the newborn kind i have a sample of gentle ease trying that now and wic provides premium which i havent needed to get yet having all the samples.. but my son is super constipated and ive tried massaging his little bum and tummy in circles sometimes i can get him to poop if i use the thermometer but it doesnt always work and its breaking my heart anyone have any suggestions on how to help him?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chelsey191
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Pear juice.
mamalynnsmith
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Call your doc.

sarah4gandh
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Are you producing breastmilk? Can you give him some of your milk? And I would call your doctor. How often is he pooping and what is the consistency? Hard pellets? How old is he? And unrelated question, are you in Alabama? That's where I am! But I went to auburn, not Bama! War Eagle! 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM
If you can get any breast milk out even a tiny bit that will help. Describe constipated....it's common with formula. Juice is not good for a newborn
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Maybe mix it slightly more diluted for a bit.
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Sounds like a sensitivity to the formula. You may need a "gentle" or reduced lactose formula. NOT soy.
GoodyBrook
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Do NOT dilute formula, or your babe won't be getting the nutrients required to thrive.  Sounds like you're going to need to try another brand/type of formula...sometimes mamas go through five or six until they find one that their little one can tolerate.

In the meantime, can you get your hands on some breastmilk?  (Look for a Donor, as there are a lot of us out there!).  Breastfed babies don't get constipated, so you wouldn't have to contend with this while you're getting your formula needs figured out.

Your pediatrician should be able to help.  Get in to see her ASAP for baby's sake.

BellaMama7
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

If you him miralax itll help him a lot, Doctors give it to babies most often to help them. Fill cap to the first line, and youll have a pooping baby soon! Good luck.

veggiemom474
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

give him extra water. Water is #1 for constipation.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Water can be toxic for babies. Especially young ones. 

Quoting veggiemom474:

give him extra water. Water is #1 for constipation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN