Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

A question about eyedrops at birth

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 34 Replies
I know that some parents do not allow the hospitals to give the babies anything including the drops they put in their eyes at birth, I was wondering why is this?
Kind of sadly I will be berthing in the hospital, I want to do it as natural as possible, I always go without pain medicines etc. But this time I am not vaccinating so I also want to know what kind of fight and I in for lol.
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM
7 moms liked this

The eye drops cause burning and blurry vision. They are used to protect the baby if mom has gonorrhea or chlamydia. So if you are STD free then they are pointless and just cause pain. You can opt out of everything and anything if you so choose, you might have to fight for it or they might be cool about it, just stand your ground!

sdgd21
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Omg! Your kidding!?
No never any STD's I've been with hubby my whole adult life, I had no idea that's why . :-( wow !

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

The eye drops cause burning and blurry vision. They are used to protect the baby if mom has gonorrhea or chlamydia. So if you are STD free then they are pointless and just cause pain. You can opt out of everything and anything if you so choose, you might have to fight for it or they might be cool about it, just stand your ground!

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep that's it :/ If you are worried about any kind of minor infection like conjunctivitis( for any age really) your colostrum can be used right after birth or Breast milk when it comes in. 

Quoting sdgd21:

Omg! Your kidding!?
No never any STD's I've been with hubby my whole adult life, I had no idea that's why . :-( wow !

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

CafeMom Tickers
sdgd21
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

Yep that's it :/ If you are worried about any kind of minor infection like conjunctivitis( for any age really) your colostrum can be used right after birth or Breast milk when it comes in. 

Quoting sdgd21:

Omg! Your kidding!?

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know why they don't just ask if you have gonorrhea or chlamydia and only give the drops to babies that need them.  To me it just doesn't make any sense!

sdgd21
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I agree .

Quoting Sarah725:

I don't know why they don't just ask if you have gonorrhea or chlamydia and only give the drops to babies that need them.  To me it just doesn't make any sense!

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM
The funny part is the drops themselves can cause conjunctivitis even without the newborn being exposed to gonorrhea or chlamydia. They started giving them to everyone because there were people who weren't being tested for stds or lying about positive results.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I wonder how many of the hospital staff knows about this. I feel very confident I'm telling them no.

Quoting polkaspots:

The funny part is the drops themselves can cause conjunctivitis even without the newborn being exposed to gonorrhea or chlamydia. They started giving them to everyone because there were people who weren't being tested for stds or lying about positive results.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Just be sure to look up your state law and hospital policy to see if you'll get much of a fight.

Quoting sdgd21:

I wonder how many of the hospital staff knows about this. I feel very confident I'm telling them no.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Good idea

Quoting polkaspots:

Just be sure to look up your state law and hospital policy to see if you'll get much of a fight.

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting polkaspots:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN