Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Goat's Milk

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 7 Replies

I bought some frozen goat's milk the other day and was planning on pasteurizing it before giving any to my daughter. I'm reading about it online and everything says to use glass or stainless steel containers. The milk was frozen in plastic containers. Is it still okay to use? Something I read said that plastic holds bacteria. I'm assuming pasteurizing will kill any bacteria the plastic may be holding, so if I just put it in glass after pasteurizing it should be good, right? Never done this before...

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GoodyBrook
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Personally we don't pasturize, as it kills all of the good beasties in the milk.  If you don't trust the farmer's sanitation, I personally wouldn't bother drinking the milk... 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I have never pasteurized anything before but most people that I know prefer raw milk

mjrex87
by Mindy on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I've just never drank raw milk myself so I don't feel comfortable trying it out on my daughter first, kwim?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Personally we don't pasturize, as it kills all of the good beasties in the milk.  If you don't trust the farmer's sanitation, I personally wouldn't bother drinking the milk... 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM

How old is she? 

Quoting mjrex87:

I've just never drank raw milk myself so I don't feel comfortable trying it out on my daughter first, kwim?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Almost 20 months.

Quoting jconney80:

How old is she? 

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

ethel37
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You never want to pasteurize milk as it will kill all the good enzymes needed for nutrition and digestion.  Raw milk is the ulitmate superfood!  I breastfed and made a homemade raw goat's milk formula for my son since he was 2 months old.  He's now 3 years old.  We only drink raw milk, won't touch anything pasteurized.  If you don't trust that the farm where you got your milk from is clean, then don't drink the milk, even if pasteurizing it first.  Unsanitary conditions, weather raw or not are one of the causes of food poisoning.  Here is a link to a great article in Natural News about raw goat's milk and the benefits of it.  It's a good read, hope you think so, too.  :)    http://www.naturalnews.com/031586_raw_goats_milk_health.html

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I have never pasteurized milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN