Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

need suggestions

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

need suggestions on how to get my 7 year old moving in the morning! she gets up no problem, the issue is her "lazing" around when she needs to eat breakfast, get dressed, help pack lunch and pack her backpack. i know the lunch and backpack could be ready the night before. but let's face it, sometimes it doesn't happen. she has about an hour every morning to do these things. and she waits and waits until the last min. forgetting things and half eaten breakfasts. she basically just plays with the babies, which i keep telling her she can do that after the 4 things are done. when she doesn't listen or help out and the babies are awake and the 3 year old needs something, mornings get super crazy and i can't deal with the mass chaos. 

anyway, suggestions welcome! 

(and she LOVES school, it's nothing like she doesn't want to go) 

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the exact same problem with my six year old. I have a bunch of alarms set, and it helps her a little. Here are our rules:
*First I had to set the rule that she gets ready before she eats.
*a half hour before we need to leave the first alarm goes off, "the hurry up dogs." If she's not ready, I finish for her- brush her teeth for her whatever, and she hates it so that's a good motivator.
*Then she has bfast.
*ten minutes before we need to leave the next alarm goes off "let's go ducks." At this point she needs to wrap up bfast and I double check she has all her stuff together and is ready.
*then when it's time to leave the "let's go ducks" go off again and we are out the door. If she hasn't been lolligagging, she can grab a toy for the car ride.

She's improved a lot since I implemented all these. And when she does good for a while I let her eat bfast first, then at the "hurry up dogs" she drops bfast and gets ready. Then when she lolligags too much again we go back to bfast last.

I hope you've found some useful help here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikzup03
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

i will try some. and i usually have to set a timer when she is told to clean her room or else she will be "cleaning" it for 3, 4, 5 hours sometimes!! (yet if i tell her to go play in her room... lol) i wish i had my stable morning routine to be more predicatble, but with 2 babies, you can imagine how that hasn't even happened. LOL

Quoting jellyphish:

I have the exact same problem with my six year old. I have a bunch of alarms set, and it helps her a little. Here are our rules:
*First I had to set the rule that she gets ready before she eats.
*a half hour before we need to leave the first alarm goes off, "the hurry up dogs." If she's not ready, I finish for her- brush her teeth for her whatever, and she hates it so that's a good motivator.
*Then she has bfast.
*ten minutes before we need to leave the next alarm goes off "let's go ducks." At this point she needs to wrap up bfast and I double check she has all her stuff together and is ready.
*then when it's time to leave the "let's go ducks" go off again and we are out the door. If she hasn't been lolligagging, she can grab a toy for the car ride.

She's improved a lot since I implemented all these. And when she does good for a while I let her eat bfast first, then at the "hurry up dogs" she drops bfast and gets ready. Then when she lolligags too much again we go back to bfast last.

I hope you've found some useful help here!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Make a visual checklist shes got to check off in the morning..like a dry erase board she can wipe off the checks before bed
GoodyBrook
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM

What about allowing natural consequences?  She misses the bus and doesn't get to go to school that day...  Or she doesn't pack her bag, so she can't take it with her.  Or she doesn't eat breakfast and has to eat it at school.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

My dd gets up an hour before she has to leave for school. She is pretty good at eating and getting dressed. I have found the amount of sleep she has the night before determines how she is the next morning. If she isn't asleep by 7 she is a mess the next day. 

Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM

We use a timer for every step of the morning routine.  If the step is not completed before the timer goes off, either I do it for him, or he goes without.  He's gone to school many times without shoes or snacks.  But, now we don't need the timer anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)