Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I thought forward facing front carry was bad for baby...??

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 33 Replies

I saw this photo article and so mant of these ladies are carrying the baby facing out...I thought that was really bad for their hips??  Did I misinterpret that??

http://www.whattoexpect.com/celebrity/photo-gallery/baby-wearing-celebrities.aspx#/slide-1

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh, it's whattoexpect. Lots of crotch dangling too. A lot of parents don't necessarily know how to baby wear safely, so it's not uncommon to see crotch danglers and forward facers.

That said, there is a safe way to wear a baby forward facing, it just shouldn't be done for too long and I believe mom really needs to be aware of baby's mental state while Doing so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainbowBanana
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I just recently have boycotted Ergo for designing a forward facing carrier. It's so frustrating! I teach a babywearing group and I feel like I am constantly having to teach "against the grain" of these companies that come out with these unsafe, uncomfortable carriers just for profit. I will no longer show Ergos at my meetings.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

bad for hips

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Well I guess no one is perfect, but yeah I always heard it was bad for their hips.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Crotch dangling is bad for hips, it doesn't matter which way babe is facing. Babe can sit ff Buddha style in a RS and it's find for hips, but the problem then becomes over stimulation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

YEP I sold my ergo lol

Quoting RainbowBanana:

I just recently have boycotted Ergo for designing a forward facing carrier. It's so frustrating! I teach a babywearing group and I feel like I am constantly having to teach "against the grain" of these companies that come out with these unsafe, uncomfortable carriers just for profit. I will no longer show Ergos at my meetings.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

What?? I'm disappointed. Is it a crotch dangler?

Quoting RainbowBanana:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Most parents I see babywearing are using crotch danglers. It bothers me so much. I live in an area where parents want to be "hip" and "trendy" so they babywear but they have no clue what they're doing. 

kitty8199
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I didn't know better and faced mine forward a few times. But i just felt safer with her up against me tummy to tummy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
At least they're wearing their babies. And all the babies appear to be happy and not overstimmed. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN