Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I thought forward facing front carry was bad for baby...??

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 33 Replies

I saw this photo article and so mant of these ladies are carrying the baby facing out...I thought that was really bad for their hips??  Did I misinterpret that??

http://www.whattoexpect.com/celebrity/photo-gallery/baby-wearing-celebrities.aspx#/slide-1

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh, it's whattoexpect. Lots of crotch dangling too. A lot of parents don't necessarily know how to baby wear safely, so it's not uncommon to see crotch danglers and forward facers.

That said, there is a safe way to wear a baby forward facing, it just shouldn't be done for too long and I believe mom really needs to be aware of baby's mental state while Doing so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainbowBanana
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I just recently have boycotted Ergo for designing a forward facing carrier. It's so frustrating! I teach a babywearing group and I feel like I am constantly having to teach "against the grain" of these companies that come out with these unsafe, uncomfortable carriers just for profit. I will no longer show Ergos at my meetings.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

bad for hips

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Well I guess no one is perfect, but yeah I always heard it was bad for their hips.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Crotch dangling is bad for hips, it doesn't matter which way babe is facing. Babe can sit ff Buddha style in a RS and it's find for hips, but the problem then becomes over stimulation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

YEP I sold my ergo lol

Quoting RainbowBanana:

I just recently have boycotted Ergo for designing a forward facing carrier. It's so frustrating! I teach a babywearing group and I feel like I am constantly having to teach "against the grain" of these companies that come out with these unsafe, uncomfortable carriers just for profit. I will no longer show Ergos at my meetings.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

What?? I'm disappointed. Is it a crotch dangler?

Quoting RainbowBanana:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Most parents I see babywearing are using crotch danglers. It bothers me so much. I live in an area where parents want to be "hip" and "trendy" so they babywear but they have no clue what they're doing. 

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I didn't know better and faced mine forward a few times. But i just felt safer with her up against me tummy to tummy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
At least they're wearing their babies. And all the babies appear to be happy and not overstimmed. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)