Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Thinking about getting an IUD

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:11 AM
  • 16 Replies
Originally SO and I had planned on doing NFP, but I haven't gotten my cycle back yet so we've just been using condoms. I'm still scared of getting pregnant though lol, we love our son but we are not going to be ready for another baby for a loooong time! I've been thinking a lot lately about getting an IUD for backup, just to feel safe. I was thinking about getting the copper one but I've always had a sensitivity to metals with jewelry, I can only wear jewelry for sensitive skin so I'm afraid that I wouldn't react well to that. But it's the only hormone free one and I hate the idea of having extra hormones in my body, especially because I'm breastfeeding. What are your ladies thoughts/opinions?
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't trust the paraguard, I've heard way too many stories of it failing and mom getting pregnant, and it exaggerates flow and pms symptoms. No thanks.
The mirena is the least of the hormonal evils because it has the lowest dose of hormones than other BC due to its location. It's also, then, the most bf safe of all the hormonal BC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Get a piece of copper and use medical tape and tape it to your inner wrist, see if you have a reaction.  Thats how my doctor said to test.  I have issues with metals too but did fine with copper.  You naturally have copper in your body already.

Mirena killed my best friend...caused blood clots that traveled to her brain.

Ive had 2 paragard and never had any problems

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM
i agree. i had a mirena for 5 years and LOVED it. took it out and was preggo within a month. just like any other BC there are risks though. thankfully i never had any issues.

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't trust the paraguard, I've heard way too many stories of it failing and mom getting pregnant, and it exaggerates flow and pms symptoms. No thanks.

The mirena is the least of the hormonal evils because it has the lowest dose of hormones than other BC due to its location. It's also, then, the most bf safe of all the hormonal BC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I really like the copper on the wrist idea. I used spermicidal jelly when we would have been okay having another since condoms don't work well for us. Now we're pretty sure we're done. I've only just gotten pargard and can't tell you how I feel about it yet.

The mini-pill is also safe for breastfeeding.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I also prefer Mirena to Paragard. I've had both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM
There are NFP methods more suited to moms who aren't cycling. Have you looked into Marquette?
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Never had the paraguard but hated the mirena!!!!!!!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My understanding is that Mirena also has metal...though I could be wrong

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Iuds freak me out. To many horror stories irl. Have you tried vcf, vaginal contraception films, as back up to nfp? Really cheap otc and no side effects unless you're allergic to spermicides.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

these are great....I am allergic to them but they worked and were easy to use

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Iuds freak me out. To many horror stories irl. Have you tried vcf, vaginal contraception films, as back up to nfp? Really cheap otc and no side effects unless you're allergic to spermicides.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)