Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Night terrors?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 18 Replies
Dd is almost two and a half. I am suspecting she may be having night terrors, but she seems so young! What age could they start and what kinds of things should I look for?
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Dairy triggers night terrors in my oldest son and I. I can't seem to figure out the trigger in my second oldest son.
thetardis
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Night terrors come from sleep cyles being mixed up (maybe not all the time I guess?) Watch her cues, when she starts showing signs of being tired note what time it is. Whatever time the signs show up she needs to be in bed 1/2 hour earlier. This worked for my 4 year old.

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Did you cut dairy completely or just after a certain time of day?

Quoting Lynette:

Dairy triggers night terrors in my oldest son and I. I can't seem to figure out the trigger in my second oldest son.
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM
That makes sense. I feel bad because we own our own business so me and her are here until between 6-8 pm 5-7 evenings a week. We don't have any kind of schedule for her because of it :( to make things worse we then pick up her dad from work between 9-10pm so sometimes she's asleep before we leave and never misses a beat, other times the drive there and back is what puts her down.

Quoting thetardis:

Night terrors come from sleep cyles being mixed up (maybe not all the time I guess?) Watch her cues, when she starts showing signs of being tired note what time it is. Whatever time the signs show up she needs to be in bed 1/2 hour earlier. This worked for my 4 year old.

crystalplus1
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Ds started them at a month before 2, he looked and acted awake, but he wasn't. He would run around the room screaming and crying. It was really bad for a while, for about 4 months he would have 3 or 4 a week. I figured out if he was over tired he became really prone to them. You have to try and figure out what triggers them. You can try and prevent them bye going in the room when they have been asleep for about 2 hours and just give them a rub on the back. Not to wake them, but it can break the sleep cycle enough so that that dont have one.

Also, they dont know who you are when they have one, they see you as whatever is in the dream.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM

MY kiddos get the night terrors around 18 months and off and on til about 3.5 when they can tell meabout them.  I think its more that they have realistic dreams and they cant explain them.

Mine got them with growing pains worse than anything.  MY oldest got them from a car accident

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM
For my son it's any dairy in the day. For me it's any dairy in the evening. Give it a good 2 week trial to see if a dietary change would help.

Quoting jmaw89:

Did you cut dairy completely or just after a certain time of day?

Quoting Lynette:

graycalico
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM
My son has had them, he just turned two. He screams as if he's in terrible pain. Horrifying. The first time I scooped him up and made it worse. Now I know that he won't even remember it, it's not a dream but a body response. I feel better knowing that he's not scared or aware. I felt terrible thinking he had something to be that terrified about before he was even 2. Luckily he doesn't have them often.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My kids have them because their sleep is disrupted due to sensory problems and or brain activity. My son had them when he was waking numerous times a night and very overtired.

My youngest is now going through this. If she's really overtired she will wake up screaming. I don't really see night terrors as just it's own entity or something that is normal. There is probably a cause whether it's diet related etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Milk_Chocolate
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:57 AM
My 2.5 year old has them ocassionally. They were really bad when we went on vacation and he was sleeping in a different environment. Still bedsharing but in a new place. He woke up screaming hysterically. It was awful. Usually at home he just sits up in bed and says something incoherently and lays back down. If I try to touch him I make it worse. I think that might be more along the lines of sleep walking. I didn't know it could be related to diet. I will have to look more into it. My DH has also been known to do some sleep walking and talking.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN