Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do you do or would you do if told this?

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've read a lot of posts on cafemom about snacks and the restrictions on them in schools.

One restriction I see a lot of is being required to bring a pre-packaged store bought snack to share.

What do you typically send in or what would you send? What about for a birthday snack?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Schools require kids to bring processed snacks for everyone? Yikes!
I send my daughter to a Montessori charter school, they require lunches to be brought from home and strongly emphasize healthy foods and do not allow the kids to share. I love it.
In kindergarten the parents took turns bringing snacks for the class, we were to go by the teacher's list which had veggies and other healthy foods on it. I know this school is atypical, but it surprises me that a standard public school would require crap.

Anyway, I guess if I had to supply everyone with crap, id find the lesser evils like Amy's gummy bunnies or packaged sea weed or something. Oh, or Costco has individual hummus cups, maybe a box of those and some pita chips.
For bdays I'd bring a fruit and veggie tray. Or if it had to be packaged, more of the above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NtrlMama
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I think with allergies these days it is simply harder and harder to send in snacks for sharing.  In our local school system, they indicated that cake and/or cupcakes were not ok and would only allow "healthy" snacks.  In my case, I might try "carrot muffins" with cream cheese frosting (without nuts, big no no) but if the item needed to be "store bought prepackaged" I might just skip it.  There is nothing I would good about feeding my kids, let alone someone elses kids, that was "store bought prepackaged".  Too many artificial colorings, flavorings, and preservatives used these days.  or would I consider store bought fruits and veggies, since we grow most of our own organically. I would love to hear others' responses on this.  Maybe there is something I'm not thinking of.  I should clarify that my two are teenagers now, so it has been a long time since I have sent anything in.  

I am eager to read some other responses, because it's a great question.

nikzup03
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Our schools try to encourage taking a non snack item as a birthday treat, or like a board game to donate to the class for cold and rainy days when they can't go out to play. I would never send processed food. I agree with the pp, with the fruit and veggies snacks though, like applesauce or something.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM
We did group snacks last year in kindergarden. It was a pita! They don't allow home made stuff due to possible allergies and quite frankly I don't want my child eating food prepped in a strangers home that I don't know the condition of or if they know how to properly handle food.

We ended up doing gram crackers :(
Milk_Chocolate
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM
If it had to be packaged and could not be fresh fruit or veggied then I would send Annie's organic fruit snack, bunny graham's, cheddar bunnies, or pretzel bunnies.
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I'm planning on sending in a fruit platter for my sons birthday in class. He has two kids in his class with serious nut allergies, one is peanuts the other is tree nuts.  I figured a prepackaged fruit platter would be fine. 

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM
we have to bring snacks in for the class, it's like once a month and we need a weeks worth

food is not something we are very natural with... but if we were and had the money to feed snack to two whole classes for a week, I'd do fruits and veggies in individual baggies, healthy versions of things like goldfish,

it can be done, with health in mind, but it'd be expensive, imo
funhappymom
by Representative on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I think most schools still allow fruits and veggies but they have to be pre-cut, pre-packaged individual things for the most part-though I'm sure a fruit or veggie tray would work.

Quoting jellyphish:

Schools require kids to bring processed snacks for everyone? Yikes!
I send my daughter to a Montessori charter school, they require lunches to be brought from home and strongly emphasize healthy foods and do not allow the kids to share. I love it.
In kindergarten the parents took turns bringing snacks for the class, we were to go by the teacher's list which had veggies and other healthy foods on it. I know this school is atypical, but it surprises me that a standard public school would require crap.

Anyway, I guess if I had to supply everyone with crap, id find the lesser evils like Amy's gummy bunnies or packaged sea weed or something. Oh, or Costco has individual hummus cups, maybe a box of those and some pita chips.
For bdays I'd bring a fruit and veggie tray. Or if it had to be packaged, more of the above.

funhappymom
by Representative on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Carrot muffins sound really good.

Quoting NtrlMama:

I think with allergies these days it is simply harder and harder to send in snacks for sharing.  In our local school system, they indicated that cake and/or cupcakes were not ok and would only allow "healthy" snacks.  In my case, I might try "carrot muffins" with cream cheese frosting (without nuts, big no no) but if the item needed to be "store bought prepackaged" I might just skip it.  There is nothing I would good about feeding my kids, let alone someone elses kids, that was "store bought prepackaged".  Too many artificial colorings, flavorings, and preservatives used these days.  or would I consider store bought fruits and veggies, since we grow most of our own organically. I would love to hear others' responses on this.  Maybe there is something I'm not thinking of.  I should clarify that my two are teenagers now, so it has been a long time since I have sent anything in.  

I am eager to read some other responses, because it's a great question.

funhappymom
by Representative on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting nikzup03:

Our schools try to encourage taking a non snack item as a birthday treat, or like a board game to donate to the class for cold and rainy days when they can't go out to play. I would never send processed food. I agree with the pp, with the fruit and veggies snacks though, like applesauce or something.

That sounds like a great idea-the board game/non snack item for birthday treat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN