Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby sign language!

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 13 Replies
Anyone doing it, or have done it with their kids before? Ds is 8mo & I want to teach him! Any tips on how to get started? Book recommendations?
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KSK0811
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm following this post. My DS is 6 months and I'd like to try this as well.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I did sign language with both of my younger kids and it was amazing! I started at about 10 months with my son and 8 months with my daughter. Both did their first sign "more" at about 10 months. We used Baby Signing Time DVDs and looked up signs on www.aslpro.com (they have a free video dictionary library). I just used it all day with them. I was so glad that I did because they were a little delayed in language and have mixed expressive receptive language disorder. I know it brought their language where it should be and now they are actually ahead in language skills even though they still have a speech disorder. I can't rave enough about signing with kids. 

SlapItHigh
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I did it a little with all my little ones. We really enjoyed being able to communicate!
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

We did it with DD. I also taught it to the little ones I took care of at the childrens center. The parents loved it, just do it all day everyday babies catch on very fast. More, please, eat, drink are all easy ones to start with. 

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I was an interpreter before kids,I let it kind of drop once I got married and moved

I sign with them all the time, they are 6,5, and 2 and my oldest are always wanting to learn new signs, my youngest picks it up pretty easy
sj3starz
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM
My smart hands is a good YouTube resource for kids. My daughter also loves the asl abc song that's animated. She tried to do the letters and can do all the phonic symbols (apple, brown, candy, down, etc)

Other than that, I try to sign with her what I know, which isn't much. :-( I'm hoping to go back to school for signing since I'd like to homeschool it'd be a great second language for them. :-)
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I haven't heard of that song! I want to do it with my kids. We homeschool too

Quoting sj3starz:

My smart hands is a good YouTube resource for kids. My daughter also loves the asl abc song that's animated. She tried to do the letters and can do all the phonic symbols (apple, brown, candy, down, etc)

Other than that, I try to sign with her what I know, which isn't much. :-( I'm hoping to go back to school for signing since I'd like to homeschool it'd be a great second language for them. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialSong
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I did some signing with my daughter. It was awesome, and really helped her be able to communicate before she could talk. I didn't use any program or anything, I just looked up signs and started using them. The first one she got was "milk" which I used to mean nursing. She was about 9 months old, and for months that was the only sign she would use (makes sense though because really that was what she wanted most, lol). Then she kind of exploded with other signs a little bit after her first birthday. Once she started talking though, her use of signing faded.

graycalico
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I'm going to this time. My ds has some delays so we're learning some with him. I think he'll talk eventually but I might as well do it with my 5 month old since we're doing it with our 2 year old.
Mrseoc
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

i did it!!!  we had about 12 signs we worked on and she had most of them down. BUT as soon as she started talking and being understood. Gone. the only sign she still makes: "all done".. just like our signing lol.

TIPS: do it over and over and over and over... if there is a thing you do that you have a sign for, such as "bath" i would say to babe "are you ready for a bath" "yes, let's take a bath" "time to take a bath" and sign the word each time you use it, making sure you sign it several times when you use it. Then your baby can make that word connection.

Dive right in. Start with like 5 signs. and just keep expanding. use them whenever you can, use signs for words you say a lot: park, go, eat, sleep, milk, cat, dog, mom, dad, diaper. and use them everytime you remember. The more you use it the faster your baby will pick up on it.

I bought a signing dictionary. it's called "the joy of signing" it has like every sign you would imagine and tips on the language. I highly reccomend skipping over the cutesy type books that teach you only to sign baby stuff... they just collect dust on my shelf.

DONT GIVE UP! it took until my baby was about 11 months to sign back at me (i started at 6 months). Because i didnt stick with it. I would do it a lot one week, then less the next.  but once she caught on she really caught on. It started with one then all of a sudden she knew a dozen.

Then she spoke.... and signing became nothing to her (besides "all done"). Once in a while i will sign something to her and it's like she remembers and gets excited. Its certainly something thats worth doing. I could probably teach her the language since she understands the concept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)