Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Soothing techniques after binky weaning... *Update*

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 3yo dd is still super attached to the binky.  She has oral processing difficulties, which is why she still has it.  She is still a biter and seems like she gets overwhelmed easily in groups or busy places.  The binky seems to help in these situations.  We are on day two of binky weaning and by tomorrow, we will gather them up and put them on the porch so they can get "recycled".  

Any suggestions on how to help her transition and learn to self soothe without the binky? 

Well, she kinda self weaned on her own, really.  She hasn't used it all day and when she asked for it, we told her it was gone.  Didn't have that meltdown that I was expecting!  Since then, she will only ask about it 1-2x a day, but will get over it quickly!  lol 

Because of this, though, her biting has increased!  Ugh!  She bit her brother 3x this week and another poor kid at church yesterday.   I have ordered the chew tube, to see if will help!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never had to deal with this, so I can't speak from experience. So the following are just ideas.
Try soothing her yourself first before trying to make her do it herself. Face, feet, ear, and body massage; snuggles; praise; sing; play; etc.
Find something she really likes and do that for awhile, then maybe after a while show her how to do it herself.

I hope there's something in there to prompt an idea. If not, at least your post got a bump. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Are you looking for something to replace the binky? Otherwise, I would say she is self soothing with the binky.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

At this age if she has sensory processing difficulties I would recommend keeping it. I have 3 kids with sensory issues due to autism and while I haven't been through this I have friends who have had challenges with taking the binky away too soon. They usually just change it to something else. If you really want to be done with it you might want to look into some chewy replacements. Chewy tubes or Chewelry (jewelry you can chew on) are both great. If you look on Amazon I'm sure you can find it. I know a lot of kids went right to sucking on fingers and thumbs, which is even worse because you can't take those away! Or chewing on lots of nonfood items. Good luck!

tnunley
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We are seriously considring getting the chew tubes thatwe saw on Amazon.  Will let you know how it goes!

Quoting jconney80:

At this age if she has sensory processing difficulties I would recommend keeping it. I have 3 kids with sensory issues due to autism and while I haven't been through this I have friends who have had challenges with taking the binky away too soon. They usually just change it to something else. If you really want to be done with it you might want to look into some chewy replacements. Chewy tubes or Chewelry (jewelry you can chew on) are both great. If you look on Amazon I'm sure you can find it. I know a lot of kids went right to sucking on fingers and thumbs, which is even worse because you can't take those away! Or chewing on lots of nonfood items. Good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

caligirl7613
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM
i never had to deal with this as neither of mine liked the binky, but i would suggest when things get tough maybe try and distract her with a fun new activity that will take her mind off of it??? im relly not sure. good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no experience just wanted to say good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)