Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How do you know when you are done?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 20 Replies

I always said I'd have as many as God allowed. Then I got pregnant first time, lost that one and got pregnant with my son and said maybe another one. I really debated on having an only or having another kid but having another won out, lol.

After #2, I said no more-got rid of everything and decided I wanted #3. DH wasn't so convinced but eventually said ok.She will be 2 in March and now I'm starting to wonder if I want another one.

The older two say yes, frequently, lol. DH hasn't said no but he hasn't said yes and honestly neither have I, lol. I had such a great pregnancy and delivery this last time, I want that again but I'm not sure I want to go through the sleepless nights again, lol.

How do you know you are done having kids?

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, I'm done because I don't like motherhood. Ha. I always wanted two, after a few years, and changing circumstances, I accepted that Biggie would be an only child. I was fine with that for me, but I really wanted her to be a big sister. Well, now she's a big sister and I'm really glad they have each other. But there is no way in hell I'm having a third. I'm done because, in short, motherhood is not my niche.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KSK0811
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'm back and forth with this right now. To be logical, I think finances must be considered. That being said, a third child would be irresponsible of us right now. I also have to think about how it would affect my other two children. They wouldn't be able to say, because they are 2 years and 6.5 months. If money weren't an issue, I'd have more children hands down. I do very much want to experience pregnancy and the newborn period again. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Plus I'm a supporter of zero population growth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM
For us, it's when God decides or when we feel we have serious reasons to avoid having another pregnancy/child. I'm in the "never say never" camp. We don't have any too serious reasons to be done so we are open to life. I definitely don't feel done. I very much want more children. It's hard for me to ever imagine feeling done but I don't know if I have a choice.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I'm ready for the next chapter. As much as I love pregnancy and the baby stage, I'm ready for an older stage. I think it's normal to go back and forth though.
momof3inTN
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll let you know when I reach that point. LOL Just kidding.

We're expecting baby #5 (due in December) now. I've always said I wanted 6 but after this pregnancy... I'm not sure. It's been getting harder. I'm 36 now. By the time we'd be ready for another I'd be 38... 

As of 2 days ago (the last time my husband and I talked about it), we won't actively prevent another pregnancy but we're not going to try and "catch the egg" either. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

We were done when DH said no more.  I'm happy I got 3 and my heart is content.

Butterfly_xo
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I think you just know. With my first, he was unplanned and the best surprise we ever got (: I had no complications and I had a vaginal birth. I did, however, experience very bad morning sickness in my first trimester and the third... And sometimes it came in the second. But after my son, I immediately knew I wanted another. We waited til he turned 1, got pregnant, and then had our first miscarriage. I was pregnant for 8 weeks and 5 days and experienced even worse morning sickness. I was extremely hurt and thought I would never get pregnant again. 3 months later we got pregnant once again and I am currently 11 weeks and everything is well with baby..... I'm just suffering from the sickness again. Everyone around me who is pregnant is feeling better except me :( I lost 15 lbs so far and throw up at least 5 times a day. I'm so miserable. Hubby wants 3 or 4 kids but I don't know if I can or if I even want to. And some days I just feel bad for my son because he wants to play and I'm too sick or tired.... I'm not going to put my son through this again. I think we will be good with just 2 kids and if there's a time in the future where we consider it, we will adopt. I'm not putting my body through the demands of pregnancy anymore.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I dont think I will ever know. I do know that i am feeling a bit overwelmed with four at the moment, but I know that if we were to have more we would all love that baby and adjust. I also have a heart for orphans, and if it is possible would like to adopt/foster. I am open to whatever God had for us.
levansbx
by Lee Ann on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I don't know. I'm pregnant with my second right now. Right now I can imagine myself wanting anther in a couple of years, but I'm not sure dh will be on board with that. So I guess there's a good chance we'll be done after this one...but we'll see. ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)