Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Don't hat that newborn!

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
http://modernalternativepregnancy.com/2013/09/06/take-it-off-why-you-should-drop-your-newborns-hat/#.UnXBV3BJ7hI
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Awesome article! Thats very true!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenashark
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM

It is 40 degrees outside. I can't walk around with my daughter skin to skin on my chest all day. I am putting a hat on my baby.

Jenn8604
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I think it means RIGHT AFTER birth. It doesn't say do this til the kid is a few months old and when it mentions third stage of labor I think it's as soon as baby pops out do it.

Quoting lenashark:

It is 40 degrees outside. I can't walk around with my daughter skin to skin on my chest all day. I am putting a hat on my baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I agree with this, although it does seem to be worded a bit dramatically. Newborns don't need to wear clothing at all, we only put diapers and hats and shirts on them for convenience. Now a newborn hooked up to monitors unable to be on a person should totally wear clothing and a hat, but under normal circumstances that's not necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Yeah obviously it depends on circumstances but babies don't need hats indoors

Quoting Jenn8604:

Lol I think it means RIGHT AFTER birth. It doesn't say do this til the kid is a few months old and when it mentions third stage of labor I think it's as soon as baby pops out do it.

Quoting lenashark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this
I love baby smell! I hate when i hand my bany over to hold when they have lotion or perfume, or even their laundry detergant, and they come back smelling like them! Lol
Jenn8604
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM
But right after birth hospitals plop hats on newborns while inside.

Quoting jconney80:

Yeah obviously it depends on circumstances but babies don't need hats indoors

Quoting Jenn8604:

Quoting lenashark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
So if I put a hat on my newborns head and can't smell it, will I not recognize it as my baby and cast it aside? This seems a little rediculous to worry about what other mothers do in regards to a hat or no hat. Had to laugh out loud at this one...

(Not disputing any of it, just feel its rediculous to be concerned over)
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM
It's not something to be concerned about, it's just something that's not needed and done out of habit. There's no reason to put the hat on and miss out on the baby head smelling. The article itself is written strangely, but the point is still valid that we don't have to be doing it yet we are.

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

So if I put a hat on my newborns head and can't smell it, will I not recognize it as my baby and cast it aside? This seems a little rediculous to worry about what other mothers do in regards to a hat or no hat. Had to laugh out loud at this one...

(Not disputing any of it, just feel its rediculous to be concerned over)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN