Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Baby won't stop crying in car

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 37 Replies
I'm posting in here instead of the babies group because I know most of us if not all are on the same page about not letting babies cry it out.

My 4 month old has a sudden aversion to his car seat. Up until now, he would fall asleep almost immediately after we started driving. Now he starts crying as soon as we start driving, and won't stop. I'll pull over and nurse him for a few minutes until he unlatches and he's all smiles, then I put him back in, start driving and he starts screaming and crying again! I don't know what's wrong, he's had the same car seat since he was born. The straps aren't too tight, they're not bothering his neck. I'll even climb in the backseat with him while my SO drives and hold his hand and sing to him to try to comfort him, and he still won't stop crying. Is this normal? Just a phase that will pass? He's been fussy in general lately, I think he might be teething. I got him a raw Baltic amber necklace, so I hope that helps.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thePBandJmom
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Are you using an infant sat? Maybe switch to a convertable seat?

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM
DS is 18 months and still cries in the car! Has since like a week old. He has gone through three car seats and it didn't help:( I'm sorry. I know how hard it can be. I always shot in back with him except when I'm driving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Both my kids did that for a while. It was never that much of an issue because I don't drive, but I tried to schedule naps around car rides and then for right after meals when they got older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaBlue92
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Yes. He's only 14.6 pounds though, his legs aren't squished or anything.

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My first hated the car too, had yo always be sucking, and didnt take a pacifier! I wish i had an answet for you, just saying i understand :(
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Convertible car seats hold babes as small as five pounds. I always skip bucket seats altogether and bring my NB home from the hospital in a convertible. The angle is a little different and some babies do better with different car seats than others. You don't need to wait to get a convertible until babe grows out of the bucket seat, it's just another option.

Other things you can try are a special soft toy for car rides only, different songs or white noise, paci, face massage (especially if you think it's his teeth).
Good luck!

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
He's still fussing?! Ugh. So sorry mama, I was hoping he'd grow out of that quickly.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

DS is 18 months and still cries in the car! Has since like a week old. He has gone through three car seats and it didn't help:( I'm sorry. I know how hard it can be. I always shot in back with him except when I'm driving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

SOme babies dont like the closeness of the inside of an infant seat, some want to be able to see more than the back of the seat or the handle of the seat.  Convertibles tend to sit up higher and give better views and are roomier.  My guy started in his at birth

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Quoting thePBandJmom:

tnunley
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with trying the convertible seat, you will need one eventually!  One of mine was real fussy in the car until we switched over.  Personally, the convertibles look more comfy! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Another thing to think about is HOW the baby is in the carseat.  Are the straps even, above or below the shoulders? Have you added headrests or strap covers that didnt come with the seat? Is the chest clip even with the armpits? Are the straps tight enough not to pinch an inch?  Have you tried removing padding?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)