Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Potty training babies?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 11 Replies
Do you do this or have you done this? I'm curious about it.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Nope. I started putting both of them on the toilet when I knew before hand that they were about to go, but neither of them liked it. Dd started using the toilet willingly at three and ds hasn't gotten there yet (he's 20m).
Elimination communication is a good term to use when looking up info on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:36 AM
I love EC! I did it with both of my younger two boys. With the older of the two he was dry day and night by 18 months. The younger is still working on it he's almost 2.

I only did it part time so the biggest benifit for us was that they always saw sitting on the potty as normal.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I haven't done it. It seemed like way to much work for me. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never seen it really work myself, Ive known a few moms who tried it from very early on but it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth really. I think their kiddos were trained a bit sooner than mine, but with my kids it was very little work for much shorter time. Guess I am just lazy
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Our family ECs. Would enjoy connecting with other parents doing the same as we plan to try it from birth time, but we aren't experts.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM
How did you go about doing it? We are thinking of doing this, but don't know where to start.

Quoting conejoazul:

Our family ECs. Would enjoy connecting with other parents doing the same as we plan to try it from birth time, but we aren't experts.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM
I never did full fledged EC. I put my kids on the potty as infants when I knew they would go. My oldest was PT by 25 months and my youngest by 21 months. I did enough to make using the potty normal and comfortable so there was never this big fight to transition. It was very smooth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Check out the book "Diaper Free Baby"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM
With our son we began by accident before we'd refer heard of the topic, but turns out the in-arms potty position over a receptacle made sense intuitively. With him we had started by 8 weeks over a small round bucket. With our daughter due this month, I will be experimenting with the cradle hold position while holding a handled measuring cup under her from birth. Whatever you try, I think it is ideal to see the process as you learning to read your baby's signals. If you get caught up in measuring success by counting diapers not used, you'll probably be anxious and that will transmit to your child. That being said, it is fun to get to the level of baby reading where you catch more pees or poops than you miss. The book INFANT POTTY TRAINING available through Amazon was inspiring for us to read. It also talks about the fact that you can practice EC in a part time fashion or only with certain caregivers, whatever you think suits your family. Our son, for example has never signaled to his 82y.o. grandma that he needs to potty or that he needed a diaper change ... she wasn't part of his potty practice earlyon and he doesn't seem to view her as a potty partner now at age 3. I'm not saying that is a plus, but simply pointing out that, with him, he identifies some people as reliable to help him get pottied quickly and others as not.

Quoting conejoazul:

carebear10993
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

We started putting my son on the potty as soon as he could sit up. He was doing great but then my husband came home in July from deployment and we had a set back ( daddy like diapers) So he's still not fully potty trained at 21months but so very close. I was fully potty trained by the age of 1 my sister was 3 and my brother even longer but he has downs. It really just depends on the child if it will work or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN