Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My OBGYN didnt even flinch!! yay!

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 24 Replies
5 moms liked this
so alabama is very anti midwife, homebirth, etc. hell we dont even have one birth center in the state. So of course I have an OB. (Im 25 weeks) i had a regular prenatal yesterday and he said when I came back in 3 weeks we would do the glucose testing. When I questioned him asking if he felt I was at risk for ges. diabetes. he said no that it was just standard. I asked him if I could skip it and he said sure that we would just do regular prenatal then. I also informed him that I would not be getting the flu shot...he didnt even blink much less try to talk me out of it. I then informed him I wanted to skip the hep B and vitamin K shots and that nitrate stuff for the babies eyes. He was totally cool with it and i asked him if i MUST have those papers filed before having the baby or exactly how that proceedure works he said he had NEVER had a woman ask him about skipping these shots and he would look into exactly what needed to happen and have an answer next time I saw him. (in 3 weeks) he also reminded me hospital staff can not do anything to my baby without my permission and not to let them push me around. Im so glad i listened to my "inner self" and chose a dr. who is not from here (USA) He is from Ghana and had a practice for years there before coming here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Very cool! I hope his attitude remains. Make sure you turn in a birth plan for everyone (and bring hard copies to the birth), just in case.

Yay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Wonderful! I have noticed this with OBs who have practiced in other countries. Have you toured the hospital?
caligirl7613
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Me too. so far he has been very non invasive when i see him and seemed very ok with it!

Quoting jellyphish:

Very cool! I hope his attitude remains. Make sure you turn in a birth plan for everyone (and bring hard copies to the birth), just in case.

Yay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM
yes its wonderful and great! its brand new too. it opened in feb of this year and we are due in feb 2014. the nurses were totally cool when i said i wanted to go epi and pit free, that i had 2 previous births like that with no issues and that i would do my best not to be induced unless absolutely 100 percent needed. Of that the 3 or 4 nurses we met that day were super supportive and agreed, however i didnt let them know i was going to say no to CFM and even an IV line if i can get awy with it....

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Wonderful! I have noticed this with OBs who have practiced in other countries. Have you toured the hospital?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Wonderful! I noticed this with my doctor, who found out I was on the mirena, it was causing problems and they refused to remove it. He said "Why? It's your body." and was surprised they used the hormonal IUD without first trying the copper. In his words, why fix what isn't broken?

He also was the one that told me "You know, hormonal birth control isn't working for you. Let's find something else".

He's not from here either.

caligirl7613
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM
thats awesome! this is the only experience i have personally ever had with a dr from another country, but from what i have experienced and heard about it seems dr.s who are not from here (usa) tend to care more, are more open to listen to the patient and just have a better attitude in general.

Quoting kit_manson:

Wonderful! I noticed this with my doctor, who found out I was on the mirena, it was causing problems and they refused to remove it. He said "Why? It's your body." and was surprised they used the hormonal IUD without first trying the copper. In his words, why fix what isn't broken?

He also was the one that told me "You know, hormonal birth control isn't working for you. Let's find something else".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I've had two. This one is my favourite though. When I first saw him, he asked if I take anything for my Anxiety disorder. I answered "Valerian tea" and he didn't even blink, just wrote it down.

Quoting caligirl7613:

thats awesome! this is the only experience i have personally ever had with a dr from another country, but from what i have experienced and heard about it seems dr.s who are not from here (usa) tend to care more, are more open to listen to the patient and just have a better attitude in general.

Quoting kit_manson:

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM
That's great! Good nurses make a big difference. Are you planning on declining the IV and continuous monitoring?

Quoting caligirl7613:

yes its wonderful and great! its brand new too. it opened in feb of this year and we are due in feb 2014. the nurses were totally cool when i said i wanted to go epi and pit free, that i had 2 previous births like that with no issues and that i would do my best not to be induced unless absolutely 100 percent needed. Of that the 3 or 4 nurses we met that day were super supportive and agreed, however i didnt let them know i was going to say no to CFM and even an IV line if i can get awy with it....

Quoting SlapItHigh:

micheledo
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome!!!

On a side note, I never made it to Ghana, but have been to the neighboring countries - Niger, Mali, and Benin.  LOVE West Africa!  I would love to hear his accent!

AustinRonMommy
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM
My dr is from NY and he's pretty laid back about stuff. They don't even offer the flu shot in his office for pregnant ladies and I did get the DTaP, but I requested that one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)