Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

no toys, opinions?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 33 Replies
http://lauragraceweldon.com/2012/02/20/the-boy-with-no-toys/

Can someone make this clicky?

What are your opinions?
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM
This is pretty awesome. We are constantly purging toys from our house and my kids don't usually beg for new things- as a reward for behaving in a store we walk through the toy aisles but we don't ever buy anything and my kids are ok with that.

I am dreading the bombarding of gifts at Christmas. I try to be very explicit about not needing or wanting any toy gifts for our 3 kids but it falls on deaf ears:/
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree that over stimulating toys can be detrimental. And what kids really need is attention and involvement. This doesn't mean that toys are inherently bad. Clearly, the mother in this story did make toys for her son. It is a good reminder not to over do it when shopping for our kids and to keep them entertained in other ways instead of using electronic babysitters.
JulietAngel89
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally I really enjoy buying my kids a toy that will amaze them and entertain them. We do usually only leave that to birthdays and christmas though. 

I can see how a simple toy free life would be good for anyone

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I love it!
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting. I am sick of toys. DD just had a birthday and I asked for books and crafts. I asked everyone not to buy toys for Xmas. I still think toys have a place. My daughter is very creative with her dolls and stuffed animals and my son with his cars.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Yes! I know. Our house is small and loaded with toys. We dont have room for more! Lol

Quoting bloomsr:

This is pretty awesome. We are constantly purging toys from our house and my kids don't usually beg for new things- as a reward for behaving in a store we walk through the toy aisles but we don't ever buy anything and my kids are ok with that.

I am dreading the bombarding of gifts at Christmas. I try to be very explicit about not needing or wanting any toy gifts for our 3 kids but it falls on deaf ears:/

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM
After reading this i want ti get rid of the electronic toy etc,especially for baby. I think its just way too stimulating and am curious if it plays a role in the increase cases of autism.
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I needed this today :)

we just found out the bonus we are getting is no where near what we were expecting

I go overboard on Christmas and it's time to scale down

my kids are 2,5&6 with one on the way
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
We did before we had kids ( on my siblings that were younger), but found the my kids loved simple toys too :)

Quoting comptonkids:

I needed this today :)

we just found out the bonus we are getting is no where near what we were expecting

I go overboard on Christmas and it's time to scale down

my kids are 2,5&6 with one on the way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)