Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Talk to me about no poo

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM
  • 15 Replies
I'm thinking about doing it. I'd wash with baking soda (powder?) and water and condition with ACV and water. Anyone here done it? What will my hair feel/look like? Will it smell like vinegar? What about brushing and knots without "normal" conditioner?
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE it.  I think I have been doing it for a year now.

YOu can add the baking soda to water, but I just sprinkle some on my hand.  I also, only use it when I feel like my hair is getting dirty.

I rinse with about 1/4-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar.  I use the vinegar every time I shower.  

I was really concerned about tangles, but the vinegar conditions your hair and it is super easy to comb.  I do comb it in the shower just because I hate tangled hair.  :)

When I was getting used to no poo, I used baby shampoo when I felt like my hair was struggling to adjust.  That got me through the greasy stage.  I only used it a handful of times.

I never used to have curly hair and now my hair is really curly!!  It was only wavy before.  It makes me wonder if all that product was weighing it down.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I did bs rinse then acv rinse. No conditioner, the acv acts as a conditioner and made hair tangle a lot less.
You'll have to play with the ratios for your own hair. Bs is a degreaser, acv is a conditioner.
Vinegar smell dissipates as it dries, so no you will not smell like vinegar.
Your hair will feel the way it's supposed to feel after it transitions- for me it got softer, curlier, and the frizz went away.
There's a transition period that can be pretty gross as your hair balances the amount of sebum (oil) it puts out.

Tip: if you have hard water, add sea salt to the rinses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
The vinegar smell fades quickly. My hair felt great for the first 6-8 months of no poo but then it went downhill for me.
Amberleigh81
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
It takes a month or two to "detox" and figure out your routine, but afterwards, it's great!

I use the BS and water every 10 days or so, and ACV almost every day. I have very curly hair, so I dry out easily. Since I have been doing this, I don't have frizz and I don't even have to use gel or mousse to control my curls!
Amberleigh81
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
It takes a month or two to "detox" and figure out your routine, but afterwards, it's great!

I use the BS and water every 10 days or so, and ACV almost every day. I have very curly hair, so I dry out easily. Since I have been doing this, I don't have frizz and I don't even have to use gel or mousse to control my curls!
lullaby572
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, I'm utterly confused. Poo, hair...

larissalarie
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
ShamPOO

Quoting lullaby572:

I'm sorry, I'm utterly confused. Poo, hair...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lullaby572
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Ohhhhh. Yes your hair will smell like vinegar. But no hurt in trying it.have a nice day

Quoting Amycapl:

I'm thinking about doing it. I'd wash with baking soda (powder?) and water and condition with ACV and water. Anyone here done it? What will my hair feel/look like? Will it smell like vinegar? What about brushing and knots without "normal" conditioner?

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I never made it past a month. My hair just ended up so greasy and gross. I think you have to wait it out a lot longer though to get through the gross part. Good luck! My hair never smelled like vinegar or baking soda after using it :)

larissalarie
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you use cheap generic ACV for rinsing or something more like Braggs?

Quoting micheledo:

I LOVE it.  I think I have been doing it for a year now.

YOu can add the baking soda to water, but I just sprinkle some on my hand.  I also, only use it when I feel like my hair is getting dirty.

I rinse with about 1/4-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar.  I use the vinegar every time I shower.  

I was really concerned about tangles, but the vinegar conditions your hair and it is super easy to comb.  I do comb it in the shower just because I hate tangled hair.  :)

When I was getting used to no poo, I used baby shampoo when I felt like my hair was struggling to adjust.  That got me through the greasy stage.  I only used it a handful of times.

I never used to have curly hair and now my hair is really curly!!  It was only wavy before.  It makes me wonder if all that product was weighing it down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)