Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

sciatic nerve treatment

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
My dh has been dealing with sciatic back pain, and it keeps traveling further down his leg. He has been seening a chiropracter for a a few.weeks now (not last week). Anyone have any suggestions?
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I've only ever had it while pregnant and I never went to a chiro for it (didn't know to then). I don't know much else about it. I hope someone else has more info!
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM
My sciatica only acts up when I sit too much. Exercise is a must to keep it away.
Zumba REALLY helped it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Lol, i will tell him zumba!

Quoting larissalarie:

My sciatica only acts up when I sit too much. Exercise is a must to keep it away.

Zumba REALLY helped it.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Lol that'd be awesome :-P
Although there are a few guys that come to zumba class, there aren't many! Much respect to those that do!

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting larissalarie:

Zumba REALLY helped it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep! I told him to go yo zumba with my mom. My mom is like the energy bunny, maybe she will pass on some energy. He said, no, she wil drain him. He needs to find something he can do to get himself moving.

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol that'd be awesome :-P

Although there are a few guys that come to zumba class, there aren't many! Much respect to those that do!

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting larissalarie:

Zumba REALLY helped it.

ColieO
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Yoga!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM
He also has other back issues, so thats another reason he goes :)

Quoting jconney80:

I've only ever had it while pregnant and I never went to a chiro for it (didn't know to then). I don't know much else about it. I hope someone else has more info!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:21 AM
9 times out of 10 sciatica pain is caused by tension in the piriformis (a muscle in the butt). This muscle sits against the sciatic nerve, and when it gets tight it presses on the nerve and cause sciatic pain. A chiro is good, but chiropractic only deal with bones. He HAS to work with releasing the muscle. If he's getting adjusted, which is great, he also needs to be getting a massage for this and stretching it out as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Ok, he has stretches he has tp do twice a day, but i will make sure that he gets a massage too

Quoting jellyphish:

9 times out of 10 sciatica pain is caused by tension in the piriformis (a muscle in the butt). This muscle sits against the sciatic nerve, and when it gets tight it presses on the nerve and cause sciatic pain. A chiro is good, but chiropractic only deal with bones. He HAS to work with releasing the muscle. If he's getting adjusted, which is great, he also needs to be getting a massage for this and stretching it out as well.

NtrlMama
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This may seem simple and basic and it doesn't involve drugs, but it does work.  My ex-husb have sciatic nerve pain and our insurance didn't cover "alternative treatments".  He suffered with it for quite some time.  During that time, we took a trip to as Vegas with a group of people.  Neither he or I were big gamblers, so we spent most of our time walking up and down the strip (bigger than I had imagined).  We spent 5 days there (was supposed to be less, but there was a big snow storm back east, so we got stuck).  About halfway through the trip, his pain disappeared and never returned.  Later on, doctor confirmed, walking can cure sciatic pain. 

I thought it was strange.  Normally, we as people tend to "baby" our pain in hopes that it will go away.  In the case of sciatic nerve pain, it is somewhat the opposite remedy.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)