Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Milk production question

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi my name is mauriah. i breastfed my son Liam for the first four months and my milk kept getting less and less til i couldnt anymore mostly due to my lack of appetite and high levels of stress. Liam is almost a year now but I really would like to start reproducing milk again and getting him back to breastfeeding. is this possible? what would I have to do?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Analugojana
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Go to kellymom.com and look up relactation. I'm mobile and cannot link right now. You acn do it. Start pumping around the clock every 2 hours, take fenugreek, eat oatmeal. Does the baby still latch? If so put him at the breast often. If not, pump and once you get some milk entice him with it back to the breast. It's not easy but it's doable. GL
LiamsLioness
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

thank you!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I didn't know that was possible, pretty amazing!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I know it's possible but it's a lot of work! I"m not trying to discourage you at all! I would check his mouth for a tongue and lip tie to see if that was what was causing your issues. Have you tried putting him back to the breast? 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Welcome to the group momma! YES most moms can atleast get a partial supply to relactate.  Check out kellymom.com section onf adoption and relactation, its where the info is even though I kow he's not adopted.  This is very awesome for you to try to do!  See if your LO is willing to latch, if so then this will make life so much easier.  If you are on birth control pills that are not the mini pill you will need to stop those.  If you don't have a pump get one for sure, even if just rented a month.

Just for future info what made you think milk was less and less? Alot of moms have a big regulation combined with baby having growth spurt and it makes moms think they dried up at 4 months.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Welcome to the group! I would also recommend kellymom. Also if you have a local chapter of LLL they would be very helpful as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)