Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

All of the sudden developing food allergies??

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

Any idea why I would suddenly become allergic to almost every food?  About 3 years ago I discovered that I was allergic to wheat and to dairy, I still had it but tried not to have too much of it at once.  Well after my son was born 9 months ago I suddenly had teribble abdominal pain and had gas like crazy.  I went in and had a blood test done revealing that I was allergic to far more.  I am allergic to eggs, peanuts, almonds, peppers, squash also.  It's just bizarre to me that it was so sudden, and I truly don't know how to live this way.  I'm just looking for anyones input or method to treat something like this. 

I would also like to add that I wasn't on any antibiotics at that time and only get gas and crazy bloating if I have any of those foods (and my little nursling is really upset if I hae any).  I have nothing else though, no hives, no rash, no fever, nothing, just the toots and bloating...

But I can't live like this forever, I've already gone a month without these things and am strugly with depression about it all (and many other things going on in my life right now), I just can't do this forever and need to find a way to help my intestines or gut....or something!!

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I'm sorry! It's possible for a small allergy to turn into a bigger one at any time in your life. Have you ever heard of the GAPS diet? That can help heal food allergies. I didn't know I was allergic to wheat until this last year and it sucks =(
Terpsichore
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

The short answer is I don't know. Here's some food for thought.

Hormones? I had almost no sense of smell my entire life (I could smell skunk spray), now I have one. What else might pregnancy change?

More things were tested the second time around, or testing has improved?

I hear foods sometimes have to be in your system at the time of testing for them to show a reaction.

Personally, the only food I had to give up was dairy. At first it was hella hard, and I kept making mistakes. It wasn't so terrible during pregnancy because I felt the effects myself, but after my son was born I was fine again. He was the one who suffered. He's 4 months and I don't make many mistakes anymore. We're learning how to make more things from scratch. We're learning the most common foods I eat that are dairy-free. We like to eat a lot of processed food, and we know there's a lot of crap in it, but we're finally motivated to read those ingredient labels and find out more specifically what crap we're eating.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Have you tried probiotics?

Hormones do strange things to me..I have an issue with dairy, straight cows milk in particular when I am not pregnant or nursing!

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Could you have a leaky gut?

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM
This is what I was thinking

Quoting SlapItHigh:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
GAPS diet can heal it

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Yes this is true!

Quoting jconney80:

GAPS diet can heal it

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Food allergies can start at any time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)