Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Did you have a doula?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 17 Replies
What were the pros? Any cons? Plan on using one next time?
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I didn't but wish I did.
levansbx
by Lee Ann on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I would like to have one this time.
taeray
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Yes, I did and she was amazing. I don't know if I would have made it through my fourteen hours of labor and four hours at nine centimeters if it hadn't been for her.
She kept me calm, helped direct my hubby on ways to help me, helped turn baby because I was having terrible back labor, and supported me when I felt like I couldn't do it anymore. I definitely recommend it and don't have any cons to be honest.
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Thought about it but in the end decided not to. A friend of mine is one and she would have been my first choice. I've met some of her clients and they all said getting a doula was the best decision.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I didt but I had my midwife ad her assistat and my photographer who is also a doula
srm8824
by Sam on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Pros:

She was prepared to help me and make suggestions

She was a neutral party 

She upheld my wishes in my birth plan and was my advocate 

She was encouraging

I could go on.

Cons:

It cost, but hey, it was worth it.

I was in a hospital so that is why I got a doula. If I had a home birth I would not have one.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
I had a doula with my youngest. She was great. I ended up with an emergency c-section so she wasn't in my delivery room. However, she was there up until they took me back and immediately after. A couple weeks after baby was born she came to my house with a birth story written froher perspective and really debriefed the birth with me. My memory in the few hours after delivery was foggy and it made a big difference to me when she filled in some of the holes.
GoodyBrook
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Our L&D nurse phoned in a doula to help us out during the last part of my VBAC.  This doula came in like the Lone Ranger and rallied us and gave us the push we needed to get through the last few hours.  (I say "us" because she helped DH just as much as she helped me.  And we both needed a lot of help!)

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Yes, I did. The pros are too many to list. The cons... the only con I can think of was the price. The going rate is pretty high here in Sydney. There won't be a next time.

I'm so glad I had one, because she was there as a professional who could reassure me that I was making the best choice in the best interest of my daughter and myself, when things started to go badly and not according to plan.

momof3inTN
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:41 AM

I haven't had one previously but this time we are getting one. I just finished consulting with a couple and found one I real clicked with. Having a UC this time around, I want someone who is focused on my needs while my husband deals with our other children and anything medical for me or the new baby.

Little one is due in 5 weeks so I'll know more afterward. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN