Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Oh boy... **update- NOT pregnant:)**

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 22 Replies
I have had the paraguard IUD for about 4 months. My periods have been so painful that I have to use the same techniques I did during my labors to work through them. I am brought to my knees in pain.
Lately I have been having bleeding after sex, also. I go in next week to have the placement of the IUD checked. I am thinking back and realize that dh and I had sec while I was ovulating....

I have just reached the point of not really planning to have any more children. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the universe decided to throw me a pregnancy curveball:/

One question (which I will ask my dr before having the IUD checked)- is it safe to have an exam if you are pregnant? Could it possibly cause a miscarriage?? Thanks ladies- I will definitely keep you all posted!

Update:
I went in today and IUD is in place but I have bacterial vaginosis. Hopefully once that is cleared up the excruciating pain during my periods goes away. If not, I will have to reevaluate this form of bc and decide if the pain is worth it. Thanks for your kind words and support:) Merry Christmas mammas!!
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM
**sex, not sec. Lol
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

As far as I know it is normal to have an exam while pregnant since many swabs and STD checks are done during late term pregnancy with no complications except minimal bleeding BUT I would still tell your doctor there is a chance.  I was an IUD baby - my mom didn't know she was pregnant with me until past 5 months so I know it's possible!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I know the iud being in during pregnancy can cause miscarriage so I'd talk to your Dr ASAP if you think it's possible that you're pregnant but a lot of women who get pregnant with one in go on to have healthy pregnancies! I'm sorry you're having so much pain. I had the same problem. My body doesn't like any metals and I wasn't thinking when I got the Paragard. I can't really even wear jewelry at all so that should have been a no brainer!
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM
No that would not be hilarious because a pregnancy with an IUD could be dangerous.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Can you feel the strings? It's typical for your periods to get heavy and more painful with paraguard, if the strings are there it should be in place and you probably won't get pregnant. Is it too soon to test?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I've heard when someone becomes pregnant with having an IUD there is a big chance of miscarriage.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

THIS

Quoting jellyphish: Can you feel the strings? It's typical for your periods to get heavy and more painful with paraguard, if the strings are there it should be in place and you probably won't get pregnant. Is it too soon to test?

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Sarah725:

I've heard when someone becomes pregnant with having an IUD there is a big chance of miscarriage.

I have heard this too. I am trying not to be too preoccupied with the thought until I miss my period.
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Quoting SlapItHigh: No that would not be hilarious because a pregnancy with an IUD could be dangerous.

I was trying to be sarcastic and ironic. I am aware that a pregnancy w an IUD can be dangerous and can also result in a miscarriage. I use joking as a coping mechanism when I'm stressed out- anything that happens or has already happened w this IUD is out of my control for the time being.
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bloomsr:
Quoting SlapItHigh: No that would not be hilarious because a pregnancy with an IUD could be dangerous.

I was trying to be sarcastic and ironic. I am aware that a pregnancy w an IUD can be dangerous and can also result in a miscarriage. I use joking as a coping mechanism when I'm stressed out- anything that happens or has already happened w this IUD is out of my control for the time being.

I see what you mean. I'm sorry if my post offended you. Ihugs to you and I hope everything works out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)