Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Dr refuses to care for babies born at home

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 16 Replies
There is a pediatrician practice in my area that is not willing to take patients based on where they are born; home birth or birth center birth.
My friend is planning a home birth with a midwife and she has three older kids too. She needs a new pediatrician since her current one is retiring. (She has a special needs child and requires a pediatrician). Anyway, this one dr office said they were taking new patients and took all her info on her kids. When they got to the last one , the one she is pregnant with, they asked where she was having the baby. She told them a planned home birth and they told her that the dr couldn't see the baby for at reason and wouldn't see any if the kids either.
Obviously we are shocked. But what ideas do you have that might help prompt policy change? Ever had a dr refuse care based on where your child was born?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I have heard of not taking a pregannt women who wanted a homebirth based on they dont want to be involved if somethign goes wrong...but not taking already born kids I never heard of.

cjsix
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Sounds like maybe the dr is one who is more invasive minded(can't think of the right way to word it)...sorry. Like maybe he's big on vacines etc...and doesn't fully support nursing and a more natural way of child raising?
jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I have heard of this but never personally. It's pretty ridiculous considering there are states where women are legally allowed to give birth at home and do so quite frequently
mypbandj
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I suppose he might be but I know it's a practice wide policy to not accept babies born out of a hospital and there are ped's there who are vaccine friendly, meaning they let the family make the choice without harassment.

Quoting cjsix: Sounds like maybe the dr is one who is more invasive minded(can't think of the right way to word it)...sorry. Like maybe he's big on vacines etc...and doesn't fully support nursing and a more natural way of child raising?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Quoting mypbandj: I suppose he might be but I know it's a practice wide policy to not accept babies born out of a hospital and there are ped's there who are vaccine friendly, meaning they let the family make the choice without harassment.

Quoting cjsix: Sounds like maybe the dr is one who is more invasive minded(can't think of the right way to word it)...sorry. Like maybe he's big on vacines etc...and doesn't fully support nursing and a more natural way of child raising?
Not sure...sorry I probably didn't word my first reply the best way. I'm just thinking that when you have a homebirth it is usually because you don't want a lot of unnecessary interventions and that maybe he feels that could transfer over into other areas with medical care.
hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Maybe he had a bad experience that led to a malpractice suit, sometimes that makes doctors less likely to see a certain type of patient.
I hope your friend can find a good pediatrician.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM
There are some drs around here like that. It's there loss.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM
What a jackass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

This sounds discriminatory, and I'd tell the receptionist so.  I'd ask her to have the CFO give me a call within the next day to discuss their clinic policy in detail...

Simply because I couldn't get to the hospital fast enough to give birth, you're going to refuse my baby medical treatment for the rest of his life?  I bet the local newspaper would have a field day with this!

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

It doesn't sound like a doctor I'd want to pay, anyway. I highly doubt he'll be on board with her parenting style.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)