Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do you own a TV?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
  • 20 Replies
Do you own a TV? If so how much do you limit your children watching it. If not what influenced your choices?

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I have a tv but no reception, just DVDs and Netflix. It's rare that they get any tv here, especially the younger. Biggie gets a lot of tv time with dad, so here it's super rare. When she watches it's not more than a movie or a few tv episodes. She's usually busy doing other stuff anyway so she doesn't miss it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM
We own 2- one in our downstairs family room and one in my husbands garage. My 6yo plays Wii for 30-45 minutes a day, my almost 4 yo dd watched 1 1/2-2 hours of tv throughout the day, my 23 month old has just started to watch tv. He watches 15-20 minutes a day. We are pretty strict as to what shows they can not watch and we try to avoid advertisements.
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

We do (sadly) and didn't until this last year. We watch probably 1 hour a day and I usually have it hooked up to play Pandora for the little one as he's not really interested in TV or cartoons (except for Sound of Music - he loves Julie Andrews!)

SadieJames
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

We do and we don't limit per say but we do avoid certain shows. Dh and I both like the walking dead but obviously that's an after bedtime show :) we play Big Bang theory or modern family with dd in the room though.  She's 11 1/2 mo and only pays attention during the theme song lol.  Mostly we are on the floor with her playing and "watching" tv.  We also play music through it a lot so it scrolls pictures while playing.

SadieJames
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I should add - we purposefully avoid tv she would "like". 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

DS1 gets to watch his shows in the morning, and DH gets to watch his shows in the evening...  

lenashark
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Yes, we have a tv in the den. We don't have a limit because we have never need one, the kids only watch it for about half an hour every three days.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I do own a tv. I don't limit. They have self regulated pretty well on their own and don't watch much tv.
BBAsoulfull
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM

No we don't own one. Our sons only 4 months, but when we visit family I notice he is amused by the TV.   I suppose I can't hide him from the world,lol.

farmlovin
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
We have one, but rarely watch it. I was allowing too many movies, but we're back to one movie a week - if that. The shows dh and I watch are either uninteresting for the kids or we watch them after they are in bed. We're more of a reading and music listening family.

I'm breaking that "rule" today though. I have a wicked cold so I'm watching some tv...the kids don't seem to even notice it's on, lol. They are off playing some game together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)