Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Talk to me about...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

ADD/ADHD.

I'm hearing my nephew will soon be tested for it. I don't know how they test for it and I don't know how to argue it. I KNOW this child eats junk 95% of the time. I know that he needs an outlet for his energy. I really believe if he was challenged more day to day, and had a healthy diet that he'd be fine. He's great when he sleeps over at my house for the weekend. We eat much healthier, not as crunchy - but we're getting there.

They're talking about putting him on medication and I really want to help my SIL NOT do that. Give me any links you have, any personal stories!

My mom's best friend went through the same thing, went to get a second opinion and instead found a pedi who informed her of the crap her son eating being the reason he was like that. So, she totally threw everything in the house away, and label read EVERYTHING that came in the house, controlled what dyes he ate, and BAM - he was a whole new kid. Did great in school and just really did a 180 on them. To this day, he still doesn't need meds and just watches his diet.

TIA

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I know artificial dyes are directly related to add, and if he were to cut that from his diet he may be totally normal. I don't have specific links but I'm sure it's an easy google.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oscarsmom70
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Check out www.chadd.org (children and adults with ADD).  It has tons of information and even referrals to local chapters for  you.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally dislike ADD and ADHD evals because they are just like checking off a checklist and don't look at a bigger picture. My daughter was originally diagnosed with ADHD then OCD and ODD. Then we finally sought out a neuropsychologist who did very thorough testing to get to the root of what was going on. I'd personally prefer to do that to make sure nothing is missed. ADHD evals are garbage. Cutting out processed foods and dyes helps but it's usually not the sole cause of ADD type behaviors. Sensory processing problems can look like ADHD behaviors. My daughter was finally diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS. She also acts great at other people's house when she's having fun. Putting her on a dairy gluten, dye, preservative, additive free diet has helped but it isn't the root cause of her hyper and inattentive behavior. Your sister should look into the GAPS diet.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don't know much about it. Here's a bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN